I Loved Her First

"Alright Gracie bug, can you and To'Lone be extra quiet entering the house?" You say as you walk behind Grace and her friend on the way home from school. "Daddy is working and we don't want to disturb him."

"O-tay mumma!" Grace swings the hand that is squeezing To'Lone's back and forth. "My dad is Harry. He da best."

"My daddy da best too." To'Lone smiles at Grace as they approach the gate. After punching in the 8 digit code, the gate swings open. 'Woooow!" To'Lone says with wonder in his eyes. Grace pulls him through the gate all the way up to the front door.

You help the children open the front door, padding into the foyer where they drop their rucksacks and start stripping off their shoes and jackets. Their jackets and shoes smack the floor as they just leave them all over the foyer.

"I hungry!" Grace tells you before you walk away.

"Biscuits and milk?" You ask wiggling your eyebrows, making them dance across your forehead.

"Yes!!!!" Both children yell jumping up and down with so much excitement their socked feet are pounding on the wood floor.

"Shhh!" Pressing your finger against your lips. "Daddy is working. Why don't you go down the hall to the toy room. But remember to be quiet as you pass the office." You instruct the children. "I'll come get ya when the biscuits are ready." The two little ones turn on their heels, running out of the foyer and down the hall. You go into the kitchen to prepare an afternoon snack for the kids.

"I see my daddy." Grace stops in front of the office door, peeking through the door that is cracked just enough for both of her eyes to spy her father. Harry is sitting at his desk working on some sort of paperwork for an upcoming creative meeting.

"I see too?" To'Lone asks Grace.

"Be quiet." She says moving out of the way and guiding him to the door. Grace's guiding is more like a slight push, causing the little boy to hit the door. The door creaks open and Harry looks up from his desk, noticing two little kids with their hands on their mouths.

"Whatcha doing Grace?" Harry sets his pen on the desk, giving his full attention to Grace and her new friend.

"Goin' to play. Mumma makin' biscuits!" Grace licks her lips thinking of the delicious taste of sugar against her tongue.

"Oh, Mum's spoilin yeh today." Harry shakes his head at the mention of a sugared snack, something that is very rare in the Styles household. "Who is this?" He gestures towards Grace's friend.

"Dis is To'Lone. My boyfriend." Grace says confidently smiling as bright as the stars.

"Your wha'?" Harry looks like he saw a ghost. The color has drained from his face, his eyes are the size of golf balls, and he is starting to sweat.The stunned silence lasts for a full 30 seconds. "Did yeh just say boyfriend?"

"Yup! Dis is To'Lone. He my boyfriend. I wobe him." Grace clarifies.

'Hi!" To'lone waves to Harry with a smile.

"Take a sit children." Harry motions towards the floral armchair that is placed in front of his desk. Grace grabs her boyfriend's hand, leading him towards the chair. This action causes Harry to roll his eyes; his hands come up to his face, rubbing the heels of his hands back and forth on his eyes.

Grace and To'Lone release hands as Grace climbs up into the armchair first; reaching down, she helps to pull her friend into the spot next to her.

"Well To'Lone, I have a few questions for yeh." Harry leans forward, resting his elbows on the desk. "Didn't think I would have this conversation for at least another 15 years," He mumbles to himself. Harry takes a deep breath before he starts interrogating the 4 year old boy.