The Cutest Ballerina to Ever Dance

"Hold still, bug." You say as you spray the hairspray on her hair one last time.

"I try, mum." Three-year-old Grace covers her face with her hands as her mum sprays her hair in place. She is sitting on the bench in front of your vanity mirror. Her blonde curly hair has been pulled into a tight bun and a pink flower head piece is attached.

"I think that's gonna hold Gracie. Should we put on your lipstick?" You ask Grace who pulls her hands away from her face and nods very enthusiastically. You gently apply the soft pink lipstick, finishing off her makeup so she is ready for the stage. "You look beautiful love. Let's go find daddy and we can get in the car."

"O-Tay!" Grace shoots her little bum off the bench, hitting the floor with a thud. Catching her balance, she runs out of your bathroom towards the stairs.

Harry is dressed in a simple black suit; his white shirt is buttoned just above his butterfly. He is standing in the foyer reading an email Jeffrey just sent him about tour dates. His ears pick up on a little voice as it hops like a bunny down the stairs.

"In a yewo sum-marine, a yewo sum-marine, a yewo sum-marine." Grace sings, taking her last bunny hop at the bottom of the stairs.

"We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine." Harry finishes the Beatles song with daughter, their voices echoing through the house.

"Good job daddy!" Grace acknowledges, giving him a tight hug around his legs.

"Look at my little girl." Harry says in amazement. "Do I get a twirl?" His hands are on his hips as he looks down at his little one. His head tilts to the side and his eyes smile at the sight of the beautiful ballerina. She is wearing a light pink dance costume with sparkles along the top. Her legs are in her tights and her feet are adorned with her ballet shoes.

"Look daddy!" Grace spins in a circle, the skirt of her dress fanning out around her body

"Look daddy!" Grace spins in a circle, the skirt of her dress fanning out around her body. Harry picks his little girl up mid-spin, puckering his lips ready to kiss her cheek. "Mum say no kisses." Grace places her hand on his lips.

"Why no kisses?" Harry pouts his lips out feeling sad Grace won't let him kiss her.

"Got makeup daddy! Mumma says kisses make it come off!" she smiles at her father.

"Ready to go?" He asks Grace. Harry can see you walking down the stairs in a black long sleeve dress that is formfitting and lands about mid-thigh. A long silver necklace with a heart shaped charm hangs from your neck. The red heels on your feet give that little pop of color to complete the outfit. "You look perfect for a night out at the ballet." Harry moves to give you a kiss, but your hand comes up to his lips.

"Lipstick. Sorry." You say walking past him towards the garage. Harry rolls his eyes, chuckling at the fact that Grace did the exact same thing when he tried to kiss her.

"You are so much like your mum!" Harry taps Grace's nose.

"No daddy, I not mum! I Grace!" She tells her father, making him giggle.

The family walks into the garage. Each member is buckled into their seats and they are off to Grace's first ballet recital. Grace started taking Ballet at the Regal Ballet School around six months ago. The school rented out a small auditorium for their Mid-Year Recital. Grace spent the car ride chatting nonstop about all her friends in her class and how she is going to dance for everyone.

The car is parked, and you enter the auditorium holding Grace's hand. Grace breaks away from your hold the second she spots her teacher. Running into her teacher's arms, Grace gives her a big hug. The teacher waves at you, letting you know Grace is going to go backstage with her.

"Bye!" Grace yells to you and Harry, waving her arm back and forth as fast as she can.

"Love you Bug! We will be watching!" Harry says, blowing Grace a kiss. He turns his body back to you. "Will you go and find us good seats? I have something for Grace I want to grab out of the car." Placing his hand on the small of your back he leans over to kiss your temple.

"That's fine." You say to your husband as he turns to walk out of the auditorium to grab his gift for his little ballerina. You walk down the aisle of seats finding two that are towards the front and middle. A perfect spot to watch your girl on stage for the first time.

Not very long after you find your seats, your husband plops his body in the seat next to you. He has a massive bouquet of fresh flowers just for Grace.

You love the fact that Harry took the time out of his day to go buy his little girl fresh flowers. It's a small thing, but it really shows how serious he is about being the best father he can be.

The lights dim. The curtain begins to open.

"I'm so excited! But so nervous at the same time!" Harry pats his legs with his hands; the excitement just might burst out of him at any minute. You take his hand in yours, rubbing your thumb along his fingers, trying to calm him down. He takes a deep breath; your hands seem to calm him.

You and Harry watch three different dances before you see a group of small girls walk out on stage.

"Do you see her?" You whisper to Harry, pointing in the direction of your daughter.

"She looks beautiful up there, doesn't she?" Harry whispers back.

The music from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake begins to play over the speakers. Grace and her classmates begin their dance. It is simple and uncomplicated, but one of the most beautiful things you have ever seen.

"She commands attention when she is on stage. Just like her father." You whisper to your husband. Your attention is solely on Grace as she receives you and Harry's full awareness.

The dance ends with a bow from all the children in Grace's class. Both you and Harry jump to your feet, clapping for your little girl. When you sit back in your seat, you notice Harry wiping a tear from his eyes. You rub his back to give him comfort.

"Damn, she makes me emotional." He says in a quiet tone. His comment makes you giggle.

You enjoy the rest of the performances with your husband. The show is over; you wait with Harry in the lobby. It is not long before you see a beaming ballerina running towards her parents. You embrace in a family hug.

"Grace, you are the cutest ballerina to ever dance. I am so proud." Harry hands Grace the bouquet of flowers. She wraps her arms around them, needing both arms because it's about the size of her.

She takes a big sniff "Smell good!" She says making you and Harry giggle.

"Good Job Gracie bug! Mumma is very proud!" You say with a smile.

"Tank you!" She says.

As a family you walk out to the car. The moment of Grace dancing on stage crosses your mind; you think about the way the stage brought out something new in your daughter. Someday, Grace is going to great things, maybe it will involve a stage just like her father.