Scoot Over

"Ready?" Harry asks as he comes out of the dressing room with his bag in hand. His face looks tired as he smiles towards you.

"Daddy! Hold Bug!" Grace shoots her arms out towards her father who melts at the sight of her exhausted eyes. Placing the bag on the ground, he pulls Grace from your arms, and she cuddles in like a joey in its mother's pouch. Harry rubs his hand down her back, hoping to put her to sleep. It is late.

"Gonna close your eyes, Bug?" Harry whispers in her ear.

"No I o-tay. I stay wake wit you." Her head rests on his shoulder, and her eyes attempt to fall closed but she shoots them open each time.

"She has missed you." You say, picking up Harry's bag and beginning to make your way to the back entrance where the car is parked.

"I've missed you both. It will be good to be home for a couple of weeks." Harry is quiet with his words as he doesn't want to wake up Grace if she falls asleep. Harry has started tour and has been all over Europe for the last month and a half. With Grace in school, it is hard for you to tag along, and it has been taking a toll on the little monkey not having her father home at bedtime.

"Have a nice night, Elizabeth. I'll call ya later, H. Goodnight Grace." Mitch says as he opens the door for the family. Grace's eyebrows raise as she looks towards Mitch.

"Lob you un-ca itch." Her words slur as she attempts to tell Mitch goodbye, and it makes you and Harry chuckle.

"Love ya too Gracie. Get some sleep. It's good for ya." Mitch teases as he makes his way towards his car.

"Have a good night, Mitch! We love you!" You call, walking towards the Range Rover and opening the car door. Placing Harry's bag on the floor, you move the straps in the car seat so that Harry can place your sleepy child in easily.

"Here we go." Harry says, pulling Grace from his arms and placing her into the seat.

"Daddy. I want you." Grace whines as he holds her arms out for a moment before they involuntarily fall to her lap with exhaustion.

"I know, Bug. We will be home soon, and I'm not leaving okay?" Harry's heart breaks as he watches the slight nod come from his tired daughter. She has missed him, and he can tell that she is not going to like it when he has to leave again. Buckling the harness, Harry secures his daughter into her carseat, kissing her head before closing the door.

"Let's go home." You say when Harry sits in the driver seat, releasing a small sigh from his lips.

"Yea, that sounds lovely." Starting the car, Harry backs it out of the parking spot and begins the drive home.

The car is quiet, as you allow everyone's ears to adjust from the concert. You look back at Grace as she fights the slumber that is knocking on her door. Her head bobs forward and jerks back. Harry chuckles as he watches through the rearview mirrors as she rub her eyes and blinks multiple times to keep herself from falling asleep. She rests her head on the side of her carseat, and it slides down the fabric until she pulls it back up and takes a deep breath.

Harry pulls into the garage and you look back at Grace. Her soft snores are coming through her mouth as her chin is pressed against her chest. Reaching across the console, you touch Harry's forearm.

"Look at her." You say.

"We created a perfect human. Even if she snores when she sleeps." His smile lights up the dark car and you are happy to have him home. "I'll grab the babe. Would you mind grabbing my bag?"

"I can do that." You unbuckle your seatbelt along with Harry and move to grab his bag from the car. Harry beats you to the door, opening the car and carefully unbuckling Grace from her carseat.

"Daddy stay home wit Grace?" Her words are drawn out slow as she opens her eyes and they fall back shut.

"Daddy stays home with Grace." Harry pulls Grace softly to his chest, and you rub his back, knowing that this breaks his heart. He hates being away, but it's the life you have chosen. It means your family gets to take the moments you have and make them times none of you will ever forget.

The family makes their way into the house and Harry doesn't stop, moving towards the stairs. His steps are soft against the carpet as he takes his sleepy four year old up to her room.

"Daddy gonna sing ta Grace?" Grace yawns mid-sentence.

"Yes, daddy will sing to his Grace." Harry rubs her back as he continues up the steps.

"Daddy gonna........ Give me kisses." Grace's words are delayed and Harry thinks Grace has never been this tired in her life.

"Daddy will give his Gracie Bug all the kisses in the world." Harry says, kissing her temple before walking into her bedroom. Laying her on her bed, Harry pulls back the covers, thankful that you thought ahead and had her change into her nightgown after the concert was over.

"Daddy gonna nuggle with Gracie?" She grabs Bob, bringing him close to her chest. "I scoot oba." Grace attempts to move her small little body over in her bed, but the amount of energy she has makes her scoots very small.

"You will scoot over for me?" Harry asks and his heart feels like it is about to burst. If there is something he knows about Grace and her Mum, they do not scoot over for anyone. They both love to cuddle, but don't ask them to scoot, because it won't happen.

"Daddy, I aweady scoot oba." Her eyes open and her lids are heavy as she looks at Harry, pleading for his love and cuddles. "Nuggle pwease." Her voice shakes and Harry can feel she is about to cry.

"Okay. I'll come snuggle." Picking up her body, Harry moves her a little more so he can slide into the covers. Removing his shoes, he lifts the blankets and wiggles in, tucking his arm under her head, wrapping his arm around Grace, bringing her close to his chest.

"Run along home? Pwease?" Her whispers are soft as she asks her father to sing the song she has heard every day since birth. With Grace's head resting on his chest he begins to sing.

"Now run along home,

And jump into bed.

Say your prayers,

Don't cover your head.

There's just one more thing,

I ask of you.

You dream of me,

And I'll dream of you."

Ending the song with a kiss on her forehead, Harry can hear the soft whimpers coming from his daughter, signifying that she is asleep. Holding her tightly against his chest, Harry closes his eyes, taking advantage of the snuggles he is getting from his daughter who scooted over with love for him.