Halloween: Day-O-Donuts

Walking over to the counter you move the white bowl from the counter by the stove to the island in the middle of the kitchen. The bowl has a pink lid that is being pushed up from the dough that is expanding underneath. You have covered the counter in flour, prepped your deep fryer with the oil, turned on the fryer, and you are ready to start rolling out the dough. The kitchen is quiet while Grace and Harry are upstairs getting ready for the party. Grace is excited to get into her costume to show all her friends and family. You quietly hum a song from Harry's latest album.

Taking the lid off the top of the bowl, you pull out a chunk of dough. Using your rolling pin you begin to roll out the dough until it is about an inch thick. Your ears pick up the soft noise of Harry's socked feet as he pads across the wood floor. 

"I still don't know how I feel about this." Harry stands at the edge of the counter; his head is tilted to the side and his eyebrows are crinkled in worry. "It's a lot of sugar, and I just don't feel like sugar is good, love." Harry has been on your case for the last couple weeks about you making donuts for the Halloween party the Styles family is hosting. He feels that having a day dedicated to eating homemade donuts goes very much against his 'health nut persona".

"H, I'm not gonna budge." You say as you punch donuts out of the dough with a round cutter. "This is a family tradition I have had for years. I have missed out on this for a couple years and it makes me sad. I want Gracie to create those same happy memories." You look up at your husband who is still giving you a grumpy stare.

"But babe, it's not heal..." Harry begins to interject.

"Healthy? Harry, it's one night. Grace will be fine. I have experienced twenty- three Day-o-Donuts and I think I turned out just fine!" You reply, placing a donut hole onto the floured counter.

"I guess you are right." Harry says; his eyebrows soften and his eyes give off a look of understanding. "But I'm giving her a limit. Two donuts! That's all she can have." You roll your eyes as Harry walks behind you, giving you a small pinch on your bum, causing you to give a tiny yelp.

You are already dressed in your costume, mermaid tale leggings, a white tank top with shells on your boobs, a red wig and starfish earrings. The small 20-week baby bump pulls slightly against the white tank top.

"Is Grace dressed? People will be here soon." You ask Harry as you continue to cut the donuts out of the dough, the counter slowly becoming covered in donuts and holes.

"Yep! She is all ready." Harry anxiously stirs the Zuppa Toscana soup that is sitting on the stove as he waits for the guests to arrive.

"Mum! I all ready!" Grace runs into the kitchen, showing off her costume with a twirl.

You and Harry decided on the Little Mermaid as your costume theme. You are dressed as Ariel, Harry is Eric, and Grace is your little mermaid. Harry is wearing a plain white pocket tee-shirt, and a pair of jeans. He has a red scarf around his neck, a Sebastian stuffed animal in his shirt pocket and a crown on his head. Grace is wearing a mermaid dress with sparkly shoes, pearls, and a crown.