Chapter 9

As Jin and I was finishing up our food, he bought a hotdog from another stall. He really has a big appetite, yet he never gets fat. I envy him- 

"Hold my hotdog" Jin said

"What?" I asked, startled. His sentence sounded so wrong. As I looked at where Jin was headed to, I saw a little boy on the floor, gasping for air. 

"He's having a hard time breathing. It's an asthma attack" Jin said after he placed his finger just on the gap between the kid's nose and mouth. 

"Junghee, ask that vendor for a paper bag" Jin said as he placed the kid on a chair. 

"Uhm...excuse me, can I have one of your paper bags please?" I said as I walked over to where we bought Jin's food. 

She nodded and quickly grabbed a paper bag from her drawers. 

"Thank you very much" I bowed and quickly went back to Jin

The boy was turning pale and looks like he'll be unconscious any minute. Jin held the paper bag's opening around the boy's mouth and nose.

"take a deep breath okay buddy?" Jin said "that's it...now exhale slowly"

"You're doing good! keep it up. Breathe in...breathe out..." Jin said as he caressed the kid's back "calm down and breathe. Calm down and breathe" 

"How is he?" I asked as Jin 

"He's doing a good job" Jin said "His breathing's stable now" 

"I wonder where his parents are" I said "Maybe he got lost or something and panicked. Maybe his asthma was triggered by anxiety too, just like what I experienced" 

"It is a possibility" Jin replied 

"are you alone?" I asked the little boy. He shook his head no and a slight shade of pink were painted on his cheeks now.

"what's your name buddy?"Jin asked him

"Jaehyun" 

"Alright Jaehyun, who are you with?"

"my Mommy..."he replied before Jin removed the paper bag. 

"do you have any idea where she went?" He asked 

Jaehyun shook his head no.

"Let's go find your mother okay?" Jin smiled at him and helped the boy stand up. I also held the boy's hand as we were walking around, trying to find his mother.

"What does your mom looks like?" I asked

"She has long hair and she was wearing a red shirt with a pair of black jeans"

"Oh...is that her?" Jin said as I turned to look at a lady facing away from us and was on her phone, pacing back and forth. 

"I think that's her" I replied. She suddenly turned and looked at us, her eyes were on Jin before she turned her gaze to the kid we're holding. The boy released our hands and ran up to her. 

"I told you to wait for me!" She said as her eyes started to get teary "why did you leave the bench?"

"Thank you..Jin." She smiled as she looked up at him "Thank you too" she said as her gaze went to me. 

"You're welcome" I smiled back

"Please get him checked. He had an asthma attack a while ago" Jin said "Is he your son?"

The lady nodded in response. "I'm sorry but we have to go" "Say goodbye to them"

The little boy waved at us and bowed before they walked away.

"I think that wraps up your rescue mission" I chuckled and looked up at him. I noticed he was staring at the two who were walking away "Jin? you okay?"

He looked at me and blinked before he placed a small smile on his face "Yeah, I'm okay"

-------

Is something wrong?

Why was he so taken aback when she told him Jaehyun's her son?

Why is he so quiet all of a sudden?

What's happening?

Why is this car ride so awkwardly quiet?

Why am I asking you guys all these?

AHHHH

"Jin?" I snapped out of my thoughts and called him

"What is it?"

"Are you alright?" I asked "I just noticed you became quiet after that encounter with the lady. Do you know who she is by any chance?"

"It's none of your business" he replied and sped up. 

My heart sank. I was taken aback at how he replied. Did I say something wrong?  "Oh, sorry" I replied and looked at the window. 

This is the first time he used that tone on me.

Maybe he's not in the mood?

Maybe he's tired?

The second his car stopped infront of my house, I immediately went out of the car and grabbed the wedding dress from his trunk. 

"Thanks Dr.Kim" I said before walking inside. 

Thank God the awkward car ride is over. It's because one of the things I hate the most are awkward car rides!

After getting out of the shower, I lay on my bed. I sighed and thought about what's going through his head. 

Wait- Why am I stressing over things like this? It's not like it's my problem. 

But who was she anyway? Why is Jin so affected-

Maybe a past lover???  

"Junghee,the wedding invitations are here!"