Chapter 29

LAURA'S POV
      One look from Namjoon told the others to not take their guns out, to act natural. We approached the police casually.
      "Woah, what's going on?" Jimin asked.
      "Hello there, I'm Officer Greenberg, we just happened to be driving by and we saw some vehicles parked out here. Now, this is just an abandoned carnival that should've been torn down ages ago, and you people have no business in there. So do you mind telling me what you were all up to?" One cop questioned us. I suddenly got this terrible feeling in my stomach. Poliece. Officers. Help. Safetey. If me and Nicole were ever going to escape, it was going to be right. Now.
      I started sweating and time seemed to stand still. I looked at Nicole, and her eyes were already filled with unshed tears. She was staring at V, who was looking straight into her eyes, with both a warning and a scared expression on his face. He shook his head ever so slightly, saying "no, don't do it" with his eyes. I glanced at Jimin, who was already looking at me. I quickly averted my gaze. What do I do? What the hell was I supposed to decide right now? Did I want to go back home? To what fucking home? To hell? To a place where I was unhappy? God damn it, how selfish could I possibly be?!
      Namjoon took matters into his own hands. "I'm sorry, we were just driving by when we saw this place, and curiosity got the best of us. We just took a brief look around." He explained rather quickly, probably trying to get us out of there as quickly as possible before me or Nicole did something...
      My head was spinning. Mom, Lucas... Namjoon, Jimin... What did I want? My heart was beating so quickly and stress and confusion was rapidly filling me. Shit, what did I do? Say?
      Out of nowhere, Nicole burst into tears. Shit. She couldn't help herself anymore, and she just started bawling. The officer looks utterly surprised, worried, and defensive all in one. I could feel the panic rising in all of us. My heart dropped and I felt so nauseous I wanted to die. It was that moment that I realized what I wanted. If I was so mad and worried when Nicole started crying, if I hesitated so much to scream for help to the cops, I knew exactly what I wanted. I just refused to admit it for so long, but I've known this entire time.
       I really didn't want to go back, that was a fact.
      "Alright, what the hell is going on?" The officer demanded. Nicole took a step toward him, but V tightly gripped her wrist.
      Nicole started crying harder. I'm pretty sure she hadn't made up her mind yet, but it was too late now. She had made the decision, to try to save herself.  The cop saw Taehyung grab her and immediately pulled his gun out. He clicked it and pointed it at him. "Let her go."
      Now, all the other cops in all the cars came out, surrounding us. Taehyung only tightened his grasp. Oh fuck. Shit was about to go down.
      "Let her go." He yelled, harsher this time.
      Nicole was sobbing so much, probably insanely confused on what to do. Through her cries, she let out a quiet "help us." She gestured toward me with her head, the officer looked between the two of us. Some of the other cops got their pistols out.
      "I'm so sorry, she's drunk, we were at a bar before this, I don't know what she's-"
      "STOP DEFENDING THEM!!!" She screamed, suddenly very angry with me. "Who's side are you on!?" She wailed, crying harder. Tears began fill my eyes aswell. I couldn't even answer that question anymore.
      "Who are these people?" The officer asked Nicole.
      She hesitated for a long pause "Our kidnappers." She whimpered, her brown eyes looking bigger and sadder than ever. The officer's eyes went wide. After that sentence, the guys didn't wait a second longer. Namjoon pulled put his gun and started shooting. He killed 3 of them in a matter of seconds, and it took everyone else a moment to realize what was happening. All the guys took out their guns and, as quickly and accurately as possible, shot the cops. As tears streamed down my face, I made a decision I knew I was going to regret later on.
      I took one of Jimin's two guns and start shooting too.
My hands and legs were shaking like never before, it was beyond difficult to balance and see clearly through my blurry tears. My shots were sloppy. Stop, stop it Laura. This is real. Focus.
I wiped my eyes, and thought about the techniques I've been learning. Look at the positioning and layout of the the scene. Who am I most likely going to successfully shoot? Greenberg was at a good angle. While he tried to shoot Hoseok, I shot his side before he could. Then his chest. He dropped dead.
I started sobbing, I couldn't stop myself. I fell to my knees on the ground. Everything around me was spinning, the ringing in my ears blocked out the noise of Nicole screaming at me. I'd just killed someone, an innocent man who probably had a family, waiting for him to come home from work...
Oh my God.
What did I just do?
I killed someone. I'm a murderer. This was real, that man was lying dead on the ground, his life was mercilessly taken for him. I watched as the other cops dropped down dead too, one after the other, while the boys were hardly getting wounded. They were naturals, pros, at killing. Like it was normal, like they did this every day... They have, they did...
The guilt and sadness and anger and regret flooding inside me was too much. I was so overwhelmed. I started to get unbelievably dizzy and my head hurt so much I thought I was dying. My vision continuously blurred, and the world rapidly blacked out just as I felt a sharp, excruciating pain in my arm.