Chapter 10

"I don't think that's a good idea, Justin." Scooter replied quietly, keeping the door only partially open so he couldn't see me.

"Please Scooter." He begged, his voice cracking as he spoke. "I have to talk to her."

"You're supposed to be in California."

"So is Ri." I heard Justin say. My lip trembled as i listened to him. "Can i speak to her? Please?"

Scooter was hesitating. He turned his head to look at me, knitting his eyebrows together as he waited for me to give some sort of response.

I swallowed, trying to compose myself. "It's okay." I nodded uncertainly. "You can let him in."

He sighed, chewing on his lip as he thought about it. Then he nodded and pushed the door open fully. Justin's eyes locked with mine and for a moment, i felt like i wanted to just sob my heart out.

"Upstairs." I gulped, avoiding eye contact what anyone. Justin nodded.

He silently followed me up the stairs and into my bedroom. I headed over to my window seat, curling and uncurling my fists as i sat down. I brought my feet up to rest on the cushions and braced myself for Justin's words. He closed the door and came to stand in the centre of my room, his eyes on me.

There was silence. I breathed deeply for a few seconds, then plucked up the nerve to look up at him.

"Why are you here?" I swallowed.

"I told you i'd always chase you." He answered quietly. "You can't just leave like that Ri."

I fixed my eyes down at my hands. "I had to get away."

"From me?"

"From everything." I shrugged.

"Including me?" He repeated.

"Yes." I gulped. I nibbled on my lip as i avoided his gaze. "You humiliated me."

"I didn't mean to."

He fidgeted, taking his hat off and running his hands through his hair. He put the hat back on.

"Why would i lie about something like that? You really think i'd sink that low?"

"No." He whispered, his lip trembling. "Do you really just want to just end it like that? You want to break up because if a silly fight."

I felt myself crying again.

"Justin, i love you." I whispered. "I do, but this is crazy. We've been together for 3 months and im already this much in love with you. But i can't be with you if we don't have trust. It was more than just a silly fight yesterday."

"We have trust." He insisted, a tear falling from his eye. I shook my head.

"You believed him over me Justin."

"I don't want to do this." He begged.

"We have to, don't you see? You're making this harder than it already is Justin."

"What if i said i believed you? I believed everything that you said to me yesterday?"

I shook my head again, looking at him through blurred eyes.

"Forcing yourself to believe me is not going to help anything, you know that. You're my boyfriend you're supposed to naturally believe everything that comes out of my mouth. I wouldn't lie to you."

"I didn't think you would." He wept.

"But you did.. I need to know that the person i love trusts and loves me enough to believe me when i tell him things. I told you that stuff because it was inportant. I hate Twist and i have done for the entire time i've known him, but i wouldn't sink so low as to make shit like that up Justin. It hurts that you would even consider that."