Chapter 20

I plopped onto the sofa next to Max, a long sigh escaping my painted lips.

"What's up, dipshit?"

"Shut up Max, i'm not in the mood." I replied. I stroked Coco, whose little body had dived onto my lap.

"Hey don't take your boyfriend troubles out on me missy."

I played with Coco's ears.

"He's mad because i hung out with Selena."

"I saw the interview."

"Mhm."

"He looked pretty confused when he found out. Why didn't you just tell him?"

"He was busy." I shrugged. "It's not even that big of a deal. We just ate dinner together one time. We're not like besties or anything."

"Put this into perspective." He said. "Imagine your ex, if you have an ex?"

I nodded. "Not one that i'd like to remember."

"Even better. Well imagine Justin starts hanging around with this guy behind your back. You don't even know about it, Justin doesn't say anything to you."

I gazed down at Coco, watching her soft fur rise up and down as she slept.

"Then you're in some interview in a foreign country and bam, you find out infront of everyone on live television. Justin was hanging out with your jerk-ass ex. How would that make you feel?"

I played with the collar around Coco's neck.

"Ri?" Max promted.

"I dunno. Pretty mad i guess."

"Mhm."

"Soo?"

"Soo if you wouldn't like that happening to you, think about how it is affecting Justin."

I sighed. "I have to talk to him and apologise, don't i?"

"That's up to you." He shrugged. He placed his phone next to me on the couch before standing up. "But sitting around doing nothin' ain't helping no-one."

I watched him walk towards the door.
"Why do you care so much?"

"Because these shitty fights and break-ups can really be prevented Ri. You guys gotta work at it and not give up when things get tough. You're kids, you have a lot to learn about relationships."

-

I held the phone to my ear, listening to the continuous, slow rings of Max's iPhone. After a few seconds, the ringing stopped, interupted by a rustling sound and then a 'Hello?'.

Picking up the phone to strangers just not your girlfriend, alright then Jay. I thought to myself.

"Hi."

"Ri?" He said. His voice sounded surprised.

"Yeah." I said after a few seconds, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Um-, we need to talk."

"About what?"

"About what happened at the interview last night, i need to explain-"

"Oh that." He answered flatly.

I sighed. "Well i meant to tell you it's just-, you were busy and i honestly thought it wasn't that much of a big deal-"

"You hung out with my ex Ri. How is that not a big deal?"

"Okay, yes, i ate dinner with Selena. But that's it. It wasn't planned or anything, like i literally went out to dinner with Demi and she was there too."