0 1

|Cassie|

There's one special day that you selfishly get all to yourself and that would be your birthday. Which is probably the best day of the year for a majority of kids my age. You get all the attention from your family, your friends, even a couple teachers who will wish you those two famous words of "happy birthday".

Except me. That's right, every October sixth not only do I celebrate it for me surviving the big birth that almost killed me but I have to share it with my -not so identical- twin sister, Clarke who literally tried pushing me back just so she could get the glory of being born first. For as long as I remember, there has not been one birthday we didn't share. Which was fine until we got middle school and decided to go separate ways personality wise, me of course being the only logical one while Clarke could never put her phone down.

"Look at my beautiful birthday girl!" Dad hugged me right as I entered the kitchen. One of the things both Clarke and I have in common is we looked nothing like our Dad. He's blonde with bright blue eyes while both Clarke and I share the same dark features. Same hair color, except hers is dyed a light brown now, same dark brown eyes, same facial structure. The one difference is she's a little darker than I while I got the white genes that my father possessed.

It's just Dad, Clarke, and I now. Seven years ago, my parents decided it was best to split, which don't get me wrong but was probably the best decision for all of us. Mom lives in Europe now, partying her remaining years away; smoking and drinking anything she can get a hand on while we sit here, living our lives like everything is normal. We haven't physically seen our mom since we were fifteen -two years ago- which was a nice time until she decided to drive us home drunk, crashing into an on coming vehicle head on. I was in the front seat when the front windshield shattered. One of the glass shards barley missed my right eye, giving me a nasty scar. I had a dislocated shoulder and major concussion . Clarke only got a bad sprain, and mom had a black eye and scratches all over her face. Everyone knew it would be best if we never saw her again without some other adults there. I know she feels bad about the event and even attempted to stop her bad habits, until she relapsed a year later. Never looking back at the family she abandoned.

I quickly walked to the counter and examined the Monday mail, secretly hoping there was a card or any sign that she still cared about us and didn't forget the most important day of our lives. Yet here I am examining bills and discounts store are having for the upcoming holiday.

"Where's your sister?" Dad asked, grabbing a mug as I prepare the morning coffee brew.

"Asleep," I smile to myself.

"Cassie did you snooze her alarm?" He turned to me, crossing his arms while raising one eyebrow. Trying to get me to confess. He wasn't getting one thing out of me. It's my birthday too, what will a harmless prank do?

"No," I can't hide my smile. Sooner or later I can't hold in my laugh when I hear Clarke scream my name.

"You're so dead, Cassie!" Clarke yelled.

I broke out into a sprint towards the bathroom. Locking myself inside. Clarke pounded on the door aggressively.

"Cassie open the door!" She continued to repeat over and over again.

"Happy birthday little sister!" I said in reply. Giggling to myself.

"You're so going to regret this!" She yelled before I heard her walking away. The stomping in frustration gave it away.