Chapter 11

Beckett's P.O.V

"I'm scared." Emitt mumbles into the phone. It was the night before the coronation and we'd been talking for hours now, yet it felt like only minutes.

"Everything is going to be fine." I say reassuringly yet I barely believed my own words.

We were going to die. We were all going to die.

I thought that everyone who was talking about our eternal doom was being a tad bit dramatic.
But then the fight broke out last night.

The packs' Lunas held a small event for all the ranking wolves and all those who'd be taking their positions last night. A sort of passing on the torch dinner before they actually did it at the coronation.
Things were looking up with Aiden and Julian being seated on the two far ends of the massive table leaving no room for them to possible get at each other's throats. But of course, they found a way.

By the time they shifted and abandoned their fists for their claws, the room was thrashed, furniture beyond repair and both sides trying to calm the two down. My attention was on Julian of course, but, every now and then, I'd let my eyes slip Emitt's way to make sure he was okay. Emotions I didn't recognize but ones I didn't disapprove of either. Moments like that it really did make me think we were mates, that split moment where I payed more attention to my boyfriend than my future Alpha.

Wait, boyfriend....

"Hello!" Emitt shouts into the phone bringing my attention back to him.

"Yeah. I'm here sorry, zoned out for a second." I say rolling onto my back.

"It's fine. It doesn't seem real Beckett." He whispers into the phone, his voice so clear it felt like he was right beside me. "I'll be the beta of the Dark Woods Pack this time tomorrow."

"And you'll be an amazing one." I confirm.

"You too." He says supportively, the enthusiasm in his voice bringing a smile to my lips. "I know you'll go down in the books for sure."

"You're too kind Emitt." I whisper letting my fingers run over the crumpled sheets where he'd usually be. "But I like that about you. That along with your quirkiness."

"Stop!" He squeaks adorably probably balling himself up in embarrassment. "You don't say stuff like that over the phone you dork."

"I'm sorry." I say sliding off the bed when the doorbell rings. I run down the stairs smiling widely at Emitt's cute little squeals as I continue to compliment him with only the truth. Opening the door, the color drains from my face when my eyes land on my mother and father.

"Beckett." My mother says crisply while eyeing my phone.

"I have to go." I say into the phone, hanging up before he could respond. I stuff the phone into my back pocket before I step aside to let my parents into an empty house that just got much colder.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in a state of shock, the image of my parents before me after so long incomprehensible to my brain.

"It's why are you here, Beckett." My mother corrects while dragging her finger along a low table before rubbing off the dust that collected. "And is that any way to speak to your parents."

"Must we remind you that it's your coronation tomorrow, by the looks of it you've forgotten." My dad comments, referring to my phone call and the fact that they hadn't found me rehearsing a speech or something. "Where is Jackson?"