Chapter 37

I blink my eyes repeatedly to adjust to the bright light that invades my retinas.

Slowly the blinding light clears revealing a room that was all too familiar for words. Everything had been the way it once was.

The same white, leather couches with a soft blue, fluffy rug that was yet to be stained. The light blue curtains matched as the wind blew against it allowing a calmed wind to flutter past me.

I shift on the soles of my feet at the sound of soft giggles that fill the house. My ears turn up, it was foreign, I didn't recognize it but I knew it.

I rush towards it, running up the polished staircase I run into the room but all I found was the disheveled bed that was never made.

The laughter continued downstairs, I shifted quickly and bolted towards it with all the speed my legs could muster. Returning once again to the living room I'd just left.

It was dead silent now.

"Here!" The voice called before the giggling arose again. The kitchen.

My legs moved slowly and cautiously as I made my way over to the kitchen, turning to corner carefully I find my eyes landing on a small body sitting on the island.
I walk towards them before circling the counter allowing me to see the little girl.

My breath caught in my lungs.

She had curled brown hair with gold streaks and bright green eyes that were a mixture of mine and someone else's, she gave me a toothy grin showing the small baby teeth that she had and the spaces for the ones she didn't have. She stretched out her arms giggling for me to lift her.
I oblige without hesitation and held the child in my arms.

I felt complete.

Her little hands held my face as she smiled widely. I felt tears welling in my eyes at the joy that flooded me.

"What are you two doing?" A voice calls making me turn quickly. I could recognize that voice anywhere.

His lean figure was pressed against the doorframe as he held a mug between his thin fingers. I took a hesitant step towards him as he smiled at me making my heart beat faster.

The child's giggles drag my eyes away momentarily but when I look back he's no longer there.

No. Please.

I hold the child tight, fearfully she'd go too, but she just faded away from my grasp.

"Please!" I shout as I search the house for them both, but it was empty.

I was empty.

It turned dark suddenly as the sunlight ran away from my side and the wind grew stronger. The house shook and suddenly I was outside in that field again, the autumn leaves scattered all around me. I try to stand up but my knees stay planted to the heavy ground like they were once upon a time. Tears slid down my cheeks without permission as I grasped the leaves tightly in my hands.

"......how could you?" He cries making my heart shatter all at once.

"I'm sorry!" I cry desperately as I feel him looming over me but I couldn't look up.