Chapter 39

Picture of Amelia

Beckett's P.O.V

(Again! I want Emitt! I want to know what he's thinking - fuck off)
Love you🖤

I lay in my bed with Thing on my lap and a book in my hand as I read to myself.

It was a quiet day.
Like all my days often were and even though I wanted to be out there doing something, the pack was buzzing about only one person and that just made things hard for me.

It was becoming hard to live in this pack.
He made life hard.
But he also made it bright.
So I guess my life was a dull grey.

I stayed inside like I'd done before and I kept to myself, finding mediocre ways to entertain myself and make the time go by.

It used to work.
Now it didn't.

The world moved slower and felt heavier. Everything was complicated yet so simple it made my brain hurt.

I wanted to talk to him, but I couldn't.
I wanted to be with him, but I couldn't.
I wanted to feel his warmth, but he'd reject my cold.

The simple solution, avoid him.
The problem, I loved him.

Thing scratches at my hand in annoyance when I stopped stroking his back making me frown. I swear sometimes I just wanted to throw the thing off of the rooftop but I knew he'd just walk it off.

So I just kept rubbing him and tried to keep my attention on the pages in front of me, but that was proving an impossible task since I hadn't once turned the page in an hour.

The hard thumping on my front door startled me a bit. I was so distant in my thoughts that I didn't hear anyone approaching. The knocking came again jolting me out of my bed and down a long hallway, it took a couple of minutes, but soon enough, I was at the front door and swinging it open.

Should I be happy or sad

"Hi." He says with a wide smile as Amelia rested on his hip.

"Hello." I say after a while of processing.

"Hey!" Amelia says with excitement.
I hadn't got a chance to spend much time with her yet and I couldn't help that smile that found its way on my lips because of her.

"Hello Amelia, how are you?" I ask, my eyes stuck to hers.

"Great! But it's cold." She says with a pout. "Winter is mean."

"It sure is." Emitt says as he bounces her a bit making her giggle. "Can we come in?"

"What's this about?" I question pulling the door in a bit. I didn't mean to come off as rude but I knew I didn't want Emitt's scent in the house if I could avoid it. It'd linger and it would make me even more restless at nights than I already was.

"Um." He starts, sounding a bit dejected. "I thought that maybe you'd like to spend the day with Amelia. I should've called I know, but I tried your old phone and it was out of service. And I don't know you're new number."

"I don't have a phone." I reveal making his eyes widen. "There's no need for one."

"Oh okay." He says nibbling on his lip as he tries to restrain our feet restless daughter. "So what do you say?"