Chapter 38

Beckett's P.O.V
(I know boooo I want Emitt's P.O.V, TOO BAD!  Love you❤️)

Her eyes never left mine and mine never left hers.

They were big and bright, dazzling with so much light, curiosity and excitement that it warmed my lost soul, everything felt a bit lighter and seemed a bit brighter.
She blinked and then groaned as she sat back into Emitt's arms, I was too busy studying her to realise that she was playing a game with me.

It made me smile.

I let my eyes drift up to Emitt.
His already on me, it made my body tense and my heart relax.

I still couldn't believe that he was here. That he was really here. Not a figment of my imagination, another hallucination, he was really sitting across from me, with our....child in his arms.

It didn't seem real.

Neither of us said anything.
Four years worth of thoughts circling our minds as we stared at one another, each of us changed but yet the same, grown but still young, scared but open.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how we even got here truly, I was in a trance the journey over and now we were seated in Julian's study with Julian watching us intently and the child studying my every move.

Where do we begin....

"Hi." He says making pleasure flood my veins, the sound of his voice awakening the deepest parts of me that had become dormant over time.
The loud, outspoken tone I once knew now replaced by a soft, gentle one, as if he was dipping his toe into the desolate water, testing the chilling man that I had become.

But I also felt pain.
It flooded through my entire body and held me tight in its grasp. An unfamiliar sense of suffering chocked me as the torment of him no longer being mine sucked the air out of my lungs.

Breathing became difficult....

I open my mouth to reply but nothing comes out.
Maybe it was fear or shock that stopped the words from flowing out or maybe it was because I hadn't spoken in so long. It didn't matter because I found myself unable to speak making both Emitt and my daughter frown.

"Beckett hasn't really talked since.....um, since you left." Julian fills in watching me with concern as Emitt's eyes fill with regret and guilt that didn't belong there. "These last two years especially."

"I'm sorry." He says with a trembling lip as he grips the girl tightly, my chest tightens as tears swim in his eyes as he stares at me pleadingly. I didn't get why though. "I'm s-so sorry."

I didn't know what to say. Or do.
I couldn't comfort him, though I wanted to, I was no longer his mate and the chance of being rejected stung.
It stung hard and it was roughly placed on my chest.
I didn't know if I could say something, if I should, condoling words sat on my tongue and I remained unable to bring them to life.

He stared at me through blurred eyes, wanting, needing, a response. One that I couldn't conjure up.
So we just sat there in heartbreaking silence as tears seeped out of the corners of his eyes.

"I'm Amelia." The little girl says suddenly, bringing light into the room that was becoming emotional dark.
She stretches out her small palm for me, a simply gesture that had seemed to stop my world in an instant.