Chapter 36

---------- four years later --------

(4 years as in, since Emitt left)
Beckett's P.O.V

I pull myself out of my bed as the darkness of the night sky outside lightens slightly.

I make my way downstairs before doing a quick sweep over of the desolate house. I leave through the back door forcing myself to shift, ignoring the pain it caused me to do so and took off into the woods.

I could barely see what was in front of me, but over the years I'd learnt to see without really seeing from these morning runs. I dodge each tree and imposing natural land figure as I stretched my limbs, I knew the lands by heart and it wasn't difficult to do so.

All too quickly, the morning sunlight begins to creep alongside the fleeting night sky, the sun making its appearance as the colors of the night and day fight to make various colors that looked dull to me.

Everything looked dull to me.

I trudged my way back to the house when the sun was the last man standing, like it had always been every morning.
It made me wonder. What would happen if the Moon won one of these days? What would happen?

I shift before entering my house and heading to the kitchen, downing a few glasses of water to wash down my prey that was my breakfast.

I look down with a slight frown when I feel Thing rubbing himself against my leg. I hate cats.

I found the thing one night on a hunt, it was starving and its bones were brittle, I stupidly gave it a chunk of the deer I caught and it followed me back home.
Of course I shut it out the house, but after a month of watching it sit outside my back door without moving, I let it in.

Now I had a cat.
An annoying, attention seeking cat.

Julian said he was good for me. That I wouldn't be all alone in this house anymore, I still hated the thing.

That's why I named him Thing

I groan shooing it off, I got the message, he was hungry. I pulled out a can of cat food and emptied it into his bowl, leaving him to devour his meal in peace.

Once back in my room, I mentally sigh as I look around. It wasn't like it was a couple years back, Katerina's magic could only last so long.
The only scent that filled the room now was my own.

Entering my bathroom, I undress glancing at my body before entering the shower. It was covered in scars, some from wars, some from hunts, most self inflicted.

I groan in annoyance when I hear Thing scratching at the carpet outside my bedroom door. Bathing quickly, I wrap a towel around my waist and open the door allowing it to run in, disappearing under the bed. 

I dress quickly before I look outside the window, it was nearing winter and the leaves were beginning to drift away, leaving their hosts behind.
Snow coming soon enough.

I make my way back downstairs when I hear a knocking on my door, already knowing who it was. I gave him a key so I didn't get why he insisted on making me open for him.

"Uncle Beckett!" Levi greets before pushing his way past me an entering the house. I close the door behind him and follow him inside as he pokes and protrudes around my house. "Good, it's clean."

He'd picked up his father's duty of checking on me. Levi was one of the only people left who still talked to me, even though I never responded, he knew I appreciated his company.

"Can you drop me to school?" I raise an eyebrow at the request. "Pleaseeeee Uncle." He begs. I never got why the kids called me their uncle, I wasn't blood related but they still insisted on calling me their family.