Chapter Four

"Seriously, Isabelle, what's going on with you?" Zachary asks.

I pick at the bland lettuce on my plate and take another swig of the god-awful protein shake. This is what I have had to eat all week. Salads and protein shakes. And the protein shakes are absolutely terrible. Who the hell wants to drink raw egg mixed with powder stuff?

"Nothing." I say while forking the salad in my mouth. "Just trying to eat healthy."

"She's eating healthy. She keeps going jogging every day. Something is going on that you aren't telling us." Sydney says with a raised eyebrow.

I stare down at my plate, trying to avoid their stares. They have been doing this to me all week. I hate that I can't tell them anything, but I will be able to after tonight.

"I told you already. I'm just trying to get in shape." I answer.

"You got a part in something, didn't you?" Sydney asks. Why does she have to know me so well?

"No!" I retort. "I would tell you if I auditioned for something."

I hate lying to them. But I have to keep telling myself that I just can't let anything slip.

Zachary rolls his eyes and puts his arm around Sydney. She starts to blush uncontrollably. I scowl at the two of them.

I have known the two of them since kindergarten, basically. I know I can tell them anything. The three of us have been best friends since then. But I think like two months ago, Zachary and Sydney started dating each other. Everything has just seemed...weird. I don't know how else to describe it. When two of your best friends all of a sudden start kissing all the time, it gets kind of awkward. I don't know; I guess I'm just jealous.

The bell rings, signaling for us to leave lunch. Normally, I don't go to my classes after lunch. They are just electives. But I decided I would go to art with Zachary today.

When I walk in the art room, the teacher stops me. She hands me a slip for me to check out. I didn't even know I was checking out today.

I tell Zachary goodbye and walk through the halls to my locker, throwing all of my books inside. I take a second to look at the pictures taped on the inside of my locker. All pictures of my family and friends.

Taking pictures has always been a passion of mine. I love photography. I don't really know why, but I always have. Since I got my first camera when I was like 9, all I've done is take pictures every chance I get.

I slam the door of my locker and walk back through the halls to the front door of the school. When I walk out, I see a car parked out front. Leven leans against the hood of the car and Jackie sticks her head out the window.

"Did you forget about tonight?" she yells out of the window. I smile a little and walk down the steps.

"No." I tell her. "But it doesn't start until 6:00."

"Yeah, but there's like 30 people in the cast that need to go through hair, makeup, and wardrobe. We're running late, actually." Leven answers.

I open the door to the car and get in the back seat. It's just an opening to reveal the cast. Why do we have to go through all of that stuff?

Leven starts the engine and drives us out of the school parking lot. Jackie turns up the radio and rolls down the windows of the car.

It takes us only 20 minutes until we are at the mall. When we get there, I follow Leven back into the employee lounge. Today it has been cleared out for people in the cast. I see Jen is already getting her makeup done. The other three stations are occupied by Liam, Josh, and Woody. It's actually weird how much makeup they have to put on the guys.