Chapter Fourteen

I use the towel that was tossed to me to wipe the sweat pouring off of my forehead. It is extremely hot outside, and filming isn't going as expected.

We started the bloodbath scene four days ago, but Gary does not think we have it to perfection. We keep practicing on it over and over, but we still can't get it right.

Gary decided to take a break from that, and now we are going to film my death scene.

I'm eager to see how this works out. The stunt coordinator added a lot more of the fight moves. Gary said that we may have to edit out some of my lines because the movie can't be that violent, apparently. But in the book, this is one of the most violent scenes.

"Isabelle! Jen! Jackie! Dayo! Set, now!" one of the managers calls.

I set down the towel and walk up to my place behind the Cornucopia. A wheeled set of cameras is set behind me, and will start to move as soon as I start sprinting.

Everyone gets in their places, and Gary calls action.

I see a group of cameras at one end of the plain, focused on Jen. Gary flicks his hand, and everyone shifts to Jackie, who is apparently running out of the Cornucopia. I watch her dart away from my left, and see Jen emerge from the woods.

I clutch the flimsy knives in my hand and wait for my cue. As soon as Jennifer comes into my field of vision, I act as if I throw. She throws her head back, and I run at her.

She points the bow and pulls the bowstring back, and I dodge to the left when I see it relax.

I slam into her and we both tumble on the ground. She gets away from me a little, and I move on top of her, slashing at her head with the large plastic knife.

The cameras on top of us make me feel closed in, but we keep acting through it. Whenever Jennifer pushes my face back, I take the cue and push her back down. The toe of my boot digs into her hand and she squirms beneath me.

"Where's lover boy?" I sneer at her. She struggles more beneath me. The cameras all move and flicker at different angles. I tilt my head and smirk.

"Oh I see. You're gonna help him, right?" I ask sweetly. "Well that's sweet. Too bad you couldn't help your little friend."

I dig in my vest for another plastic knife. Without looking back at Jennifer, I begin my next line. "I promised Cato that if he let me have you, I'd give the audience a good show."

Jennifer starts to struggle and squirm beneath me. I look back at her, and fake shock. "Oh yeah, what was her name again?" I coo. "Rue?"

At her name, she "tries" to flip me off of her. "Well, we killed her." I say, my voice sort of straining. I flip out another plastic knife and touch it to her cheek. "And now, we're gonna kill you."

Just as I put force on the knife, I'm being lifted up. Dayo holds one arm and I attempt a punch with my other. He takes it and pushes me back against the Cornucopia.

"You kill her?" he says sternly. I shake my head and clutch at his hands around my neck.

"No, no!"

"You said her name. I heard you." He says again. He breathes in deeply, making himself look frightening.

"No I-Cato!" I scream. "Cato!"

"You said her name!" he yells as he throws me back against the mat twice. I hit it the second time and crumple to the ground.

I stay as still as possible until I hear Dayo say his last line and Gary yell cut. I stand up, still a bit jittery from the scene. I thought we did well.