Chapter Twenty-Five

"So, how was the calculus test?" my mother asks from the living room.

"Fine." I say while walking back to my room. "Hey, I'm going to Dayo's later by the way."

"Any reason?" she asks.

"Just a get-together with the cast." I call from my room.

"Okay. Just don't stay out too late." She replies.

I set my books over by my desk and lay on my bed. I have a ton of stuff to do for school by Monday, but I really just don't want to right now.

Madeline stands in the doorway of my bedroom and glares at me. I turn my head to look at her, and raise my eyebrows when I notice her stare.

"What?" I ask.

"A get together with the cast, huh?" she asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah. We're all going to watch a movie at Dayo's."

She rolls her eyes. "That's not what I'm talking about. Is the douchebag going to be there?"

"Language, Madeline!" my mom calls from the living room.

"Sorry mom!" she yells back. "Anyways is the jerk going to be there?"

"Yep." I say, flipping the TV on. Somehow, I know that this conversation won't end well.

"Isabelle..." she begins.

"I don't want to hear another lecture, Madeline. They're my friends, even him. I mean, he may still hate me and I may dislike him a little but that's not going to keep me from at least trying to be friends with him again. That whole cast means a lot to me, and I'm not going to give that up over one little argument." I say.

"I just don't want you getting hurt again." She says.

I turn my head back to look at her. "Getting hurt again?" I say, my voice rising. "Getting hurt again?! Where have you been, Madeline? I've been hurt for the past two years! I can't get hurt again if I'm still hurt! I'm going to see him, and I'm going to try to fix this between us. He is too good of a friend to just leave like that."

Madeline sighs and taps her foot on the ground. She looks at me with a look of defeat. "Don't come crying to me, then. Because I warned you. Trying to get close to him again is just going to hurt you in the end. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's a good idea." She says before walking out of the room.

I look at my hands, fumbling with them out of nervousness. What if she's right?

No, she's not right. I won't let myself get hurt by Alexander again.

I hear my cell phone ringing beside me and answer it, seeing that it is Dayo.

"Hey, you still coming over tonight?" he asks.

"Yeah, I planned on it." I say back.

"Great. Um...there's something that I should probably tell you before you show up. I don't know how you would react if you just showed up and-"

"What is it, Dayo?" I ask.

"Oh, uh, Xander is kind of bringing his girlfriend." He mumbles.

And there's the feeling. That overwhelming feeling of pure emptiness. I didn't even know Alexander was dating anybody. And after two years of not seeing him, I get to see him and his girlfriend.

"Oh." Is all I can manage to say.

"So, I mean is that okay? Because I can change it to just the cast." He says.

"No, I mean yes. No-wait what? Yes, it's fine. That's fine." I answer, my voice a little choked.

"Okay..." Dayo answers, sounding a little concerned. "It was kind of shitty for me to say he could. He only asked when I said you were going."

"What?!" I ask, the empty feeling replaced with anger. "Are you serious?"

"Yeah. I told him you were going and he was quiet for a while and asked if his girlfriend could come." He says.

"Really..." I begin. I can't believe Alexander stopped that low. Is he trying to prove a point? I thought he said it was fine that I was going to show up.

"Hey, Dayo, is it okay if I bring someone too?" I ask, suddenly getting an idea.

"Sure, who?" He asks.

"Just a friend. I gotta go. See you later." I tell him. He says bye before hanging up.

Then, I dial the next number quickly into my phone. He picks up on the second ring, his voice happy when he picks up.

"Hey, Isabelle." He says.

"Hey Joel. So, there's a little party that one of my friends was having tonight and I wanted to know if you wanted to come with me." I say.

I can practically hear Joel smile on the other side. "I'd love to. What time?"

"It starts at 7."

"Alright. I will pick you up at your house around 6:40. See you then." He says.

"Okay. Bye, Joel." I tell him. He says goodbye before hanging up.

I get up and walk to the kitchen. But as I am walking past Madeline's room, something hits me in the shoulder.

I pick the granola bar off the ground. Why is she constantly hitting me with those?

"What?" I ask, throwing it back at her.

"That's pretty low. Using Joel like that to make him jealous." She says.

"I'm not using him."

"Sounds like it to me." She says.

"I'm not using him. I just wanted him to go with me." I answer.

"Whatever. He's a good kid, Isabelle. Don't play him like that." She replies.

"I'm not." I answer, feeling myself get angry.

And as I walk out of her room, I can't help but think about what she said. Maybe I am just using him.

I sit beside mom in the living room, the emptiness in my stomach returning.

Sorry for another short chapter! Next chapter will be the usual size. I just wanted to quickly give credit to the user @(TaylorTHG) for giving the idea for this chapter. Thank you! And thank you to everyone that reads, votes, or comments. It really means a lot. Next chapter may not be up for a while since exams start tomorrow. Anyways, thanks for everything and I will have next chapter up as soon as I can.