Chapter Twenty-Six

I wasn't going to write anymore for today but you guys read that chapter as soon as I put it up! So, I figured I would write one more for the day but that is most likely all I can do. Because I have a lot of studying to do so just please be patient with me. Thanks for all the good feedback though I really appreciate it :)

"Are you sure that they won't mind me being there? You never told me it was just a cast thing." Joel says from the driver's seat.

"Yes, I'm sure. Trust me, they'll love you." I tell him. The car pulls to the left as we get on Dayo's street.

I can see his house up ahead, tons of cars parked in front of it. Joel sighs from the seat beside me and parks the car.

The both of us step out and walk up to the front door. "They probably don't want me here." He says as he chews nervously on his bottom lip.

I smile and reach down, squeezing his hand reassuringly. He relaxes a little and I knock on the door.

Almost instantly, the door flies open and Jack stands there. He grins widely when he sees me.

"Hey, look guys! It's that Fuhrman girl and..." he begins, studying Joel to see any recognition. "Joel Courtney?"

Joel laughs and nods his head, and Jack lets us both in. I see tons of familiar faces spread out in Dayo's living room.

I lead Joel into the house, his hand still tightly around mine. I smile when I see Jackie and Amandla sitting at one of the tables.

I walk up to the two of them, and Joel lets go of my hand to go talk to the group of boys by the couch. I sit in a chair in front of Jackie.

"Is that your boyfriend?" Amandla asks with a raised eyebrow.

I feel myself blush. "No. Just a good friend of mine."

"Well, I'm good friends with Jack but I don't go holding his hand." Jackie says with a smirk.

Just as she says that, Jack sits in a chair beside her and snatches her hand. She smacks him hard with her free hand, and he laughs before walking away.

I decide not to question it, and go back to talking to the two of them. Amandla has been doing some kind of theater work apparently and Jackie has just been focusing on school.

I look around the group of people huddled in the large room, but don't see Alexander anywhere. Dayo announces that we are watching The Hangover 2.

I swear that this cast obsesses over those movies.

Before the movie starts, I decide to go and get something to drink from the kitchen. I pull a bottle of water out of the fridge, and turn back around. I jump when I see Alexander towering over me.

He smiles lightly. "Well hi."

"You scared the heck out of me." I tell him. I move out of his way, and he gets out a bottle of water as well.

I notice that he has obviously been working out a lot. The muscles in his arms pop out from under the sleeves and I can see the outline of his abs from under his shirt. He seems a lot taller for some reason. The back of his head is shaved and the hair on top is spiked up.

"Nice hair." I say jokingly as I uncap the water bottle. I didn't mean it to offend him; it's most likely for a role.

"Thanks." He says as he turns back around to face me. "It's for a new show I'm on. Vikings. Pretty sweet. You should check it out."

I nod and take another sip out of the water bottle. I look back in the living room, seeing the movie has already started.

I spot Joel sitting on the floor with a space cleared beside him. He smiles and waves at me when he catches me looking.

I smile back at him, and see Xander glaring at me when I turn back around.

"I hope he treats you good." He says roughly.

I'm taken aback by the comment. "Oh, we're-" I begin, but then I catch the unfamiliar brunette girl staring at me from the living room. I smirk to myself. "Very happy together." I finish my sentence.

Alexander forms a weak smile before walking into the living room. He sits on the couch beside the girl and I sit on the floor beside Joel.

Throughout the movie, I lean up against the couch behind me and Joel. Josh keeps softly kicking me in the shoulder, but I blow it off and continue to watch the movie.

Joel seems to be enjoying himself and has relaxed a lot since we first arrived. When the movie ends, everyone says goodbye to each other and begins to file out the door. I stay behind and chat with Dayo for a while before Joel recommends that we leave. Mom probably wants me home by now, anyways.

"Hey man, thanks for coming." Dayo says, extending a hand to Joel.

"Yeah, had a great time. Thanks for letting me come." Joel replies.

I follow Joel out the door and we begin to walk to his car. I'm almost there when I hear my name being called.

I look to the direction of the voice and see Alexander standing below one of the light posts.

"Who's that?" Joel mutters beside me.

"Oh it's a friend..." I begin. Alexander stands, waiting for me to walk over to him. "Go ahead and get the car started. I'll be there in a minute."

Joel looks reluctant, but goes to the car anyways. When I hear the engine start, I walk over to Xander.

"Yes?" I ask when I reach him. He looks almost angry when I approach him. I see his car way down the street, his girlfriend talking on the phone in the passenger seat.

"If you're trying to make me jealous, it's working." He says angrily.

"I'm not trying to make you jealous. Dear God, am I not allowed to bring other guys around without it having anything to do with you?" I ask him, now turning angry myself.

"You know that it would make me jealous and that's why you did it." He spits back.

"How would I know it would make you jealous? We haven't talked for two years! Why would I want to make you jealous?" I ask again.

"That is not my fault that we haven't talked that long." He says sternly.

"Not your fault? You stopped calling me! I would have called you but I thought you hated me!" I retort.

"No," he begins, "I stopped calling because I lost hope that you would answer. I could never hate you, Isabelle. You know that, right?"

Conflicting emotions cross my mind and I'm not too sure what to think anymore. Is all of this my fault?

"I could never hate you. You just mean so much to me. But, I'm with Nicole. I'm happy now." He says. "And you with him, I hated seeing that. It made me realize that I messed up and that if I called one more time things wouldn't be like this..." he says.

"Be like what?" I ask.

"Happy." He answers. "Things wouldn't be happy or just good anymore. Things would be perfect. I know that I messed this up and I know that I can't take anything back but I still care about you more than anything."

I'm at a loss of words. How did I not see something like this happening?

"Go Xander. You have a girlfriend. You're happy, remember?" I ask.

He looks sad and defeated. He sighs deeply and runs his hand through his hair.

"No," he says. "I'm broken."