Bucky: Chapter 9

Bucky continued to wake up a few more times, but that was just his sleeping nature. He had done that even before he was part of Hydra. He woke up to nice things though, that was the difference from earlier. The first time it was because Steve had rolled over and Bucky felt the heat radiate off of him. He felt so nice and peaceful. Another time, he just woke up because it was so quiet. He reached over and laid his arm over Steve and it resulted in caressing his friend. The feeling that Bucky felt was gentleness, something he hadn't felt in years. He felt the tenderness of another person. It was sweet and innocent. Bucky drifted back into a deep sleep and didn't wake until a few more hours.

Bucky woke up around 9:00 AM and felt around the bed. Steve was no longer laying there and had gotten up. Bucky sighed and took the thick white blanket that was on top of him off. He slowly sat upwards and stretched, making sure to warm up all of his muscles. He walked over to the door and left the room. He entered the kitchen and walked in on Steve cooking food.
"Oh jeez, you're finally up. That took long enough." Steve laughed.
Bucky stares down at his feet, then at Steve.
"Thank you for being patient with me last night... I-I appreciate it..." Steve looked over at Bucky.
"Of course." He continued to cook, and Bucky sat on the couch in the living room. He felt the plushy seats and squished them down. They were so soft and nice, it almost made him unsettled. Last night was the first time in decades that he actually slept in a comfy bed. Being that comfortable made his situation bitter sweet. He was in a good place now, but how much did he have to suffer to finally get there? And plus, how long until something else bad happened? He shook the anxious thoughts out of his head.
Enjoy it while it lasts. He thought to himself.
"Breakfast is ready, if you want any," he heard Steve say. Bucky looked back from behind the couch and into the kitchen, seeing Steve with a variety of succulent looking dishes. Bucky stood up and walked back over to the kitchen and he smelled the pleasant aroma of all the foods. He then felt a surge of guilt wash over him.
"I don't deserve any of this...," he finally said.
Steve looked at him with concern.
"What do you mean? Of course you deserve it, you're my best pal!" He placed a hand onto Bucky's shoulder and patted him.
"Hey, you're okay now, don't forget that."
"... okay." Steve and Bucky then ate breakfast in silence, as Bucky felt bad and only poked at his food. Steve finally broke the silence.
"You doin' all right, pal?"
"Yeah, I'm just... ya know, getting used to my surroundings." He stared down at his plate and burned red with shame. He felt like such a bother and he didn't understand why Steve was treating him so well. He felt like he didn't deserve anything Steve was doing for him.
"I'm sorry." Bucky stated quietly. Steve got up from his chair and walked over to the other end where Bucky was sitting and knelt down. He showed a look of concern. He placed a hand on his friend's knee and proceeded to speak.
"I just want to let you know, you mean so, so, so much to me, and at times you might feel like how you are feeling right now, but just know that I would never doubt that you deserve the world." He paused. "I mean it." Steve stood up, picked up both of their dishes and walked off to wash them. Bucky was left with his thoughts and was thinking, Wow. After a few minutes, Steve came back with a stop watch and two bottles of water.
"Wanna see if you can out run me in the gym?"