Bucky: Chapter 17

Bucky was transported in a black car with tinted windows and metal bars separating the passengers from the driver. They finally made it to the huge capitol where the trials would start. On first day, Amelia did all the talking and made their stance clear: Bucky was not guilty. The judge was an older man, and seemed skeptical of Bucky and Amelia. Nat, Steve, and Sam were told to testify on the second day, and did so. The whole time Bucky looked depressed and hopeless, which completely broke Steve's heart. When Steve had to testify, he spoke about how he had found him during the 40s after he had saved the 107th and how he was chained up on a table, dazed and confused. Afterwards, Nat had to speak about what it's like being a part of Hydra, since she knew firsthand. She would speak about how they would break and train their assassins and the harsh labor they went through. As difficult as it was, she tried to get some sympathy for Bucky out of the jury and judge. After that, Sam just spoke about what Hydra camps he had found when he was in the military with Riley still. Even though it seemed like Sam's information was nearly obsolete, it wasn't. He had valuable information on what files they had found while busting the camps.
On day five, T'Challa had a surprise visit and was apparently told from the court that he needed to testify for unknown reasons. He arrived and spoke about how he was keeping Bucky back in Wakanda and how he had had a surgery taking Hydra technology out of his brain.
On the fourth and final day, Bucky was the one that had to testify. He remembered what Amelia had said earlier to him that day: "Speak the truth, speak of what they did to you. Tell them what you told me. Sympathy comes from places where it seems like there is none. Do not doubt for a moment that we will win this case over, because we will."
And so, Bucky spoke up. He spoke about the torture that he went through and what they did. He talked about the brainwashing, nearly every mission he had to go on, including the one involving Howard Stark, and he talked about what it was like living with himself, each side of him fighting for control over his mind.

At the very end, the judge looked speechless. As the room remained silent when Bucky was done with his story, the judge spoke.
"Jury, please make your stance clear on the situation. Is James Barnes proven guilty, or not guilty?" A young man stood up and began to speak.
"As a whole, our jury has agreed that the client is indeed, not guilty."
He sat back down and the judge spoke once more.
"At this time, our final verdict is James Barnes has been proven not guilty. All charges will be dropped. Case is dismissed." He hammered his gabble on the table and walked off. Since the case was being broadcasted all over, you could hear the crowds in an uproar outside. Most cheering for Bucky, some booing against him. Steve stood up and walked over to Bucky, smothering him in a huge hug.
"I knew you could do it."