Chapter 8

Chapter 8:

Carina:

"Do I have to?" I whined for the hundredth time as Daphne and I walked into the common room that evening, it had been an exceptionally good day, and both Malfoy and Zabini had stayed out of my way, whispering and laughing among themselves instead. I was pleased, to say the least.

And now Daphne wanted me to apologize to Zabini for snapping at him.

As if it's my fault, I thought, stomping my way behind Daphne, his nosy nose had been in my business all week, 'What's going on girls?', 'What are you girls talking about?', 'How's it going girls?'

It was going fine till you asked, you annoying git.

Still not as annoying as Malfoy, but annoying to say the least.

"Blaise." Daphne said, as she stood near the couches that him, Malfoy and Malfoy's posse occupied, it's a miracle seeing both Crabbe and Goyle fit on one couch but that's another matter.

Blaise looked up at us with a blank expression, Malfoy and I rolled our eyes in sync.

"What do you want?"

"Carina here." Daphne started in her sweet voice, pushing my forward, "wants to say something."

They all turned to me expectantly, I sighed, before I looked at Blaise sincerely, "I'm sorry for snapping at you." I said, "But you seriously should've stayed out of my business."

"Carina!' Daphne sighed, I shrugged, taking a seat in between Malfoy and Blaise. There no way I'm sitting on the same couch as Crabbe and Goyle, I doubt there's any space left anyway.

Blaise looked at me critically for a minute before he shrugged too and said, "I guess that's just about how much I'm going to get from you." He slumped back.

I smiled and Daphne raised her hands up in celebration. "That!" she said, pointing at me "I did that!"

Malfoy laughed, while I just sighed, "Where are you going to sit Daph?"

That stopped her victory dance, as she looked around curiously, then looked back at me and pouted. I was smiling widely, until Blaise poked me with a serious expression, "Get off, let her sit."

I looked at him in mock-horror, "I just apologized to you!"

He rolled his eyes in reply, while Malfoy looked like he was having the time of his life, but before any of us could say anything else, Daphne walked ahead and plopped down on me, making me realise an exaggerated cry. She looked immensely proud.

"Daph, you're heavy." I ground out, trying to push her off me and trying to wriggle my legs under her weight.

She replied by shimming on my thighs, letting out a giggle and I then realised that Malfoy and Blaise, even Crabbe and Goyle were beside themselves laughing at us.

So I pursed my lips and looked away from them, into the fire directly in front of us.

If they wanted to be kids, I'll show them how to be one.

*

I walked into the great Hall that Saturday slightly peeved at having to wake up so abnormally early on a Saturday.

Out of habit my eyes strayed to the Gryffindor table looking for Hermione's frizzy hair, but I was greeted by her eyes shooting away as soon as mine landed on her.

The memory of the library incident came back to me slowly as I walked to the Slytherin table, blindly taking a seat.

She hadn't bothered talking to me since, a distant memory of Malfoy telling me Hermione would never own up to being my friend rang at the back of my mind. I had said I didn't care back then, that it was just stupid house rivalry.