Chapter 25

Chapter 25:

Draco:

I never liked the winter. I hated not being allowed to go outside and play when the snow hit and whenever I was allowed it was always after being bundled up in so many layers of clothing that it was impossible to play. So from an early age, I hated the winter and the promise of snow.

This year though, the manor looked like a winter wonderland, the white covering and the stark black contrast of the walls, making it look like a dreamy castle as you looked up at the property. But the inhabitants were unhappy with a blatantdistinction.  

Father had made it clear on the way up home from the station that the Dark Lord's visit for the month was done and that he was delighted with the results. I had shrugged it off, having already done my bit to inform him that Harry Potter and the rest if the red-nosed Weasley clan had fled the school abruptly a few nights ago.

It wasn't difficult to wring the information out of Dumbridge she was positively livid about it, much to Pansy's delight. All of a sudden Parkinson's task-force plan did not look so farfetched.

"Draco, darling." My mother called through the open door, walking into my room, "Why don't you come down and help me decorate the tree?"

I stared at her blankly. She had taken it upon herself to spruce up the manor in all things Christmas because I was home and I'm sure she was secretly glad the Dark Lord was gone for a while.

Not wanting to take away the little joy she had found I stood up, abandoning the book I was reading and motioned for her to lead the way.

"So, honey." Mother started, glancing up at me with a smile, "How was school?"

I shrugged, "It was fine." I said my tone clipped. Bringing up school brought up the entire term playing in slow motion in my head, from coming to know Carina's secret, to pranking and duelling with her, the horrid detention and the consequent tongue-tango that followed, still fresh in my head. But it was Nott that took the cake for being the standout memory. My hands clenched hard, knowing exactly what caused it and guilt slipped back into my system as I realised I was right in the centre of it.

"Nothing major?" she prodded, as we made our way past the now well-lit corridors adorned in festive cheer, "Are classes stressful?" she asked, looking concerned as her pale thin eyebrows furrowed up at me, "Are the O.W.L's-"

"They're just fine, mother." I cut her off, her questions haven't changed from the start of the year.

She frowned as we reached the main staircase, then smiled at me, her blue eyes glittering as she fondly ruffled my hair, causing me to groan and slap her hands away. But she got what she wanted, a small smile threatened on my lips as I tried to purse them, my hands going up to fix my hair.

"Has my son found a lucky someone?" she asked, slyly smiling as we made our way down and I shook my head out of habit. Mother has always been keenly interested in if I had a girl in my life. Since third year actually, when I came back home with stories about almost everyone in my little group. From Blaise to Carina. That was the year we all had finally meshed into a friend circle after all.

"No, mother." I said, giving her an indulging smile, walking into the living room to find a large tree placed near the fireplace, bare of all ornaments.

"Well." She murmured, waving her wand and levitating a box from one of the room corners, "You're still young and my boy is handsome." She gushed, "I'm sure one of these days you'll get yourself a beauty."