Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

Draco:

"Zabini." I snapped, finally looking from my essay, "If you spill my ink one more time, I will deck you."

He shrunk away from my glare, focussing on his homework again.

Stupid git.

Glancing back at my Transfiguration essay, I tightened my hold on the quill, but this time my concentration was broken by Daphne Greengrass, skipping her way to us with a ridiculously huge smile on her face. She looked like she had found the cure for Dragon Influenza.

"Daphne?" Blaise called, as she took a seat on the couch in front of us, humming to herself, "Why do you look like that?"

"Like what?" She asked, looking at the things we were working on.

"Like someone just told you you're excused from all the homework these godforsaken professors bestow upon us!" I groaned out in frustration.

She laughed, then started to pull a blank piece of parchment and an extra quill lying on the table towards her, "Oh good, I need to start the Inanimatus essay too!"

"Then get your own things!" I snapped, pulling my extra parchment back. She just snatched it back from me, giving me an angry look.

"If you let me have that I'll tell you why I'm so happy." She reasoned, I rolled my eyes.

"I don't car-"

"Sure!" Zabini cut me off hastily.

And in the split second my head turned to look at him incredulously, Daphne had started on the essay.

"So tell us!" Blaise urged her.

She looked up at us for a long moment, then she turned to me, smiling, "Carina had two servings of scrambled eggs today!"

My eyebrows went up in surprise, and a small smirk formed on my face, until my mind flashed back to last night's conversation and my mouth soured.

"That's all well and good, Daphne." Blaise said, still looking at her with expectation, "Now get on with the news will you?"

She shot him a dark look, "That is the news!"

"You're happy that Hadley had eggs for breakfast?" Zabini asked uncertainly, then shook his head as he continued, "You know people say you both are weird and I usually defend you guys..." He faltered, "But you make it so difficult!"

Daphne responded by rolling her eyes and flashing me a smirk, before she went back to her essay.

Deciding that I didn't care about Carina at the moment, I flipped through my Transfiguration text quietly, but my mind still replayed last night's conversation.

Yesterday was perfect.

For the first time in a long time, we weren't at each other's throats and actually spent time together without fighting.

How did it get so messed up in the end?

Why did I ever tell her what I thought?

It was something that would've been avoided if my sleepy mind hadn't decided to word vomit.

"So where is Carina?" Blaise's voice broke through my thoughts and my mind snapped back to the work at hand.

I looked down at my watch then, it was almost 11:30, "Oh! And how was her detention yesterday?" I asked with fake-concern.