Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Carina:

Everybody has that one day in their lives where they feel the ground metaphorically shift right?

No? None of your long lost Deatheater fathers come back out of nowhere and woo your mother again?

If not, you all lead boring lives.

Boring lives I want.

For the past 15 years of my life, I had always thought a father was something I didn't want or need, accepting the pseudo attention I got from Ed as a blessing, I knew a lot of kids didn't have. I had a family. A tight knit sort of family that I loved above everything.

How do you deal with things if everything you have ever known is obliterated within days?

I didn't.

After two days of reluctantly crying and fussing over how unfair it is that not only is the darkest wizard of all times back, but has also encouraged my father to be; I am moving on.

By ignoring it.

I'm coining it The Carina Hadley way.

Christmas was fast approaching and there was nothing I could do to stop it. So I did what anyone would do. I wrote to my mother saying I wasn't coming home, told Daphne I was going to spend my holidays with her. Wrote to Archer and Blair telling them that I wasn't going to make it home this winter. While Archer wrote me 4 more letters asking what's wrong, because he's the best brother I didn't ask for, I told him nothing. Maybe when I see them at New Years. At the moment, I was going to ignore it and enjoy my favourite time of the year and writing to Will to stay away from my Deatheater father and hoping against hope that my mother hasn't ousted the Scott family for being nothing but nice to us.

But of course, under all my schoolwork, astounding amount of father issues and the onslaught of letters arriving every day, I had completely forgotten about my previous problem.

Draco Malfoy.

"Look kid." His cold voice drawled across the Common Room as I poked my head out of my book turning to his direction. The infamous platinum bob greeted me as he stood facing a defiant second year. "I don't care what you think. But you have a cold and I'm your prefect, so you're staying here."

Oh right, the prefects were in charge of not letting the kids catch the cold that was spreading through Hogwarts like wildfire. There's how much I like not being one.

"I don't take orders from you, Malfoy." The kids nasally voice rang through and I stifled a giggle.

"No kid." Malfoy hissed, "You do. Do you have a hearing problem? Did you not here the words, ''I'm your prefect?'"

A sudden yelp, had me abandoning the book altogether and I looked up from the back of the sofa to see Malfoy dragging the kid back towards the boys dormitories, "I've been here longer and trust me when I say this, you cannot sneak an attack on me, I will have you snapped in two before you even think about it."

"Stop threatening kids, Malfoy." I called out, addressing him for the first time in days directly, without our usual group around and his head snapped to me quick enough to give him whiplash.

He blinked, breaking our locked gazes and seemed to recover from the initial shock of my voice in the next second. "We," he said walking towards me, slowly, "were not so cheeky in second year."

I rolled my eyes with a snort as he came to stand directly in front of me, the back of the sofa the only thing separating us.

"You conjured up a snake in our second year." I reminded him, wincing at the pathetic Duelling Club memory.