Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Draco:

Do you ever look at someone and think about why they were put on this planet?

Because I look at Isobel and think about her life's purpose all the time. Up until now I'm drawing a solid blank. Not that she should die or something, just you know, not be around me with her whiny, nasally voice, super shiny hair, nose stuck up in the air and most of all, her wondering hands.

Oh dear Merlin don't even get me started on that!

"So do you want to do something?" she asked, stroking my forearm as she looked up at me and I shook my head.

"Aren't we doing something already?" I asked, gesturing at the books laid around us and my half-filled parchment. She just rolled her eyes at me, pulling my arm around her shoulder and plastering her side to mine.

"No silly!" she giggled, "Something more interesting than the homework!" wagging her too thick for her face eyebrows suggestively.

And here I thought Ravenclaws valued wits.

"I'm sure homework won't take more than an hour today" she argued, and began rolling my parchment up.

Easy for her to say, she's the Ravenclaw.

"Isobel-"

"Don't call me that." She said sweetly, "My parents call me that."

"Isn't that your name?" I asked, snorting at her pouty expression. I guess in some other universe, or circumstance, Isobel would've been a decent person to spend time with but in the current ones she just made me want to rip my hair out. And I love my hair.

"So?" she asked, lowering her voice as she neared my ear, "What do you say?"

"I-"

"Thank you, Miss Pomfrey!" a very familiar voice interrupted our conversation and I looked across the corridor to see Carina step out of the Hospital Wing, hands full with two potion flasks as she kicked the door shut and tried to stuff the flasks inside her bag, oblivious to us staring at her.

Wait.

What's wrong?

Why is she coming out of the hospital wing?

"Carina?" I asked, distancing Isobel a little as dark eyes snapped up to me only to instantly freeze on something beside me.

Very slowly, a smile made its way to her lips, like she had to remind herself to do so.

"Malfoy?" she asked, her voice dubious as she started walking in my direction, giving me the 'What's wrong?' look that I had downpat over break because apparently my face still looked distressed.

"Are you-"

"You must be Isobel!" she cut in for me, extending a hand in the blonde's direction, "I'm Carina Had-"

"I know you." Isobel's nasally voice started, her eyes narrowing at Carina's outstretched arm, "And no thanks."

"Excuse me?" she echoed and I turned to see Isobel's pissed off face change into a sneer.

"You ruined my boyfriend's life!" Isobel loudly snarled at her, her sweet face turning uncharacteristically red, but with what anger? And how did her voice even rise that high?

Wait back up, what?

"Boyfriend?" I asked, yanking the blonde banshee to turn to me, glaring at her, "Who the fuck ever said anything about being your boyfriend?" I turned to Carina, "I'm not her boyfriend!" I clarified hastily, I don't know why it seemed so important for me to do so, but I swear I saw a nerve in Carina's chin relax at my admission.