Prologue

*Flashback – two years earlier*

He wasn't sure if his heart was racing or had stopped completely. There was no way of telling if he was dizzy because he was breathing too quickly or because he wasn't breathing at all. An overwhelming sense of guilt was burning inside him and he knew it was there, but his mind was totally blank. How did he end up in this situation? What had he done wrong?

The wind tore at his clothes, trying to rip of the black hoodie he always wore, as if he wasn't worthy of it anymore. He knew he wasn't. His lips grew dry from the cold and turned red as he pressed they together trying to hold back the tears that threatened to overflow any second now. He's fists clenched together, but there was nothing else he could do, only look onto the scene he had created.

A body laid in front of him. The body of a boy, who V - the hero that promised to keep everyone safe – failed to protect; or rather, it was the boy who gave up his own life to save Tae's.

The boy's small body was still: no rising and falling chest, no constant heartbeat. None that Tae could see. He wanted to come closer to the boy and check, what if he wasn't ... what if he was still alive?

But Tae's body refused to move.

The boys clothes were drenched in the thick red liquid, so dark it nearly looked black. The skin on his face was completely torn up and also dyed red.

Tae felt terrible looking at the boy, but he didn't have the right to look away. He had to face the mistakes he made, that's something that came with his position.

V, the superhero who would save everyone. But really, he was just Tae, the boy who messed up. He boy who messed up so badly it cost someone else's life.

What could be worse?

Running away from the situation?

Well, that's exactly what he did. He turned away from the boy that he was supposed to have saved, he abandoned his morals, he left everything behind him ... and he ran.

The ambulance came later, taking the boy away with them as a crowd gathered near the place of the incident, a dark red pool still marked the spot. A woman started to cry when her eyes finally recognised the boy who hid underneath the layer of blood.

"No!" She screamed. "No! My baby! My baby can't be dead! He's alive! My little, baby boy! He's alive! Where are you taking him? He's alive, I'm telling you!! He's alive!!"

And as far away as Taehyung already was, he still heard her screams.

That was the day he burned that black hoodie. He watched as the bright red "V" on the back went up in flames. That was the end of "V", now he was just "Taehyung".

No, he was just Taehyung all along. He just refused to admit it.

But V was dead know, Tae no longer had a mask to hide behind. There was no more pretending because V was the hero and Tae was just a boy.

A boy who ruined someone's life.