(11)The Whitest Smoke Signal

'I'd never before found the taste of murder to be so flavourful...'

The Whitest Smoke Signal

Thanatos' portal opened up in an empty hospital room

I was quick to pat down my hair and dress as I raced towards the door, Thanatos hot on my heels. I grabbed the knob and twisted, but the sudden flash of black leather caught my eyes. I pushed Thanatos back; "You can't go out there like this."

He looked down at his armour and cloak- it was almost comical in the bright light of the hospital room. He looked completely out of place, like he was the reason hospitals existed in the first place. Which isn't too far-fetched...

Quickly a dark cloud of smoke overtook his body, leaving me slightly chocking as I tried to wave back the dense fog. In an instant, Thanatos' sinister leather armour was replaced with ordinary human attire- a dark pair of jeans, boots, a burgundy shirt and black, leather jacket. He looked far too good for any normal university student, and he might cause a few more heart attacks on our way to the emergency area, but at least he didn't look like the Grim Reaper anymore.

"Better?"

I nodded slightly dazed, either from the fog travelling up to my brain or the way those jeans hugged his muscled legs. Not too tight, but fitting enough to appreciate every inch of him. I cleared my throat.

Friend in trouble here- focus.

"Let's go."

We rushed out of the room, receiving some disgusted looks from a group of passing nurses who probably thought we were using the empty room for private CPR lessons, and hastily made our way down the long corridors towards the emergency area's waiting room. Luckily there were signs everywhere instructing us exactly where to turn, otherwise we might've ended up in the cafeteria by now. Every corridor looked exactly the same- white, bright and terrifying.

I nearly rammed into another nurse as I stormed up to the receptionist's desk. Her eyes widened; "Can I help you, ma'am?"

"Sonya Harrods? Is she alright?"

The nurse nodded quickly and reached for some papers as Thanatos' hand found my back and began to stroke up and down in reassurance; "Miss Harrods is in surgery. She'll be out in about twenty to thirty minutes. I'd advise you to take a seat-"

"Aurora!"

I turned my head at the familiar voice. Trita stood at the other end of the waiting area, her make-up smudged and her bangs pinned up and out of her face. She looked physically ill.

I raced towards her, ignoring the receptionist, and swung my arms around her cold body. Thanatos followed, but stayed back a bit and watched. Trita gasped; "How? How are you here?"

"Trita, what happened?" I ignored her question, but she was adamant.

"Aurora," She leaned in and pulled my closer so no one else could hear; "What the fuck are you doing here? How did you get here so fast? It's been like three minutes since I phoned you."