(22)Celebratory White Fangs and Dysfunctionality

'He shouldn't think he's the only shark in these deep, dark waters...'

Celebratory White Fangs and Dysfunctionality

It was a lovely night- if only Apollo wasn't about to be crowned king

We were all at the party, the night air warm and the stars uncomfortably close. Mount Olympus wasn't just high up in the clouds; it was beyond that. I felt like even the sun's rays on the other side of the world were still heating up the air and sending warmth towards us in waves.

Sweat glistened on my arms. Then again, it may be the nerves too...

I watched as Thanatos' jaw shifted stiffly around and locked whenever one of the demi-gods I wasn't introduced to yet shuffled closer. His red stare quickly rid them of their desire to greet me. I squeezed his hand; not really caring anymore if one of the gods happened to see us being intimate.

I think everyone was past that by now. Well...

I glanced a look over my shoulder. As expected, Apollo, Ares and Dionysus were all staring in our direction, whispering in hushed voices. I could tell it was a mixture of jealousy and annoyance.

Dionysus looked a little less irritated by the sight of our small posse, but he did look rather frustrated, which was quite the sight. I never thought I'd see someone so angry with the thought of not being able to stand next to Thanatos- it nearly made me laugh at him.

But this was no time for joking; even when there were about three-hundred drunk gods, demi-gods and all sort of creatures and shapes dancing, laughing and gorging themselves on food around us.

What a party...

No, no joke at all; not when Ares stood so close. I haven't seen him since we discovered his devious involvement in this horrid scheme for power. I watched the prince, trying not to make it too obvious. He looked at ease and it irked me. He should be on his tip-toes- we were gaining on him and he shouldn't think he's the only shark in these deep, dark waters. That would be foolishly naive...

We stood on the large terrace, with all the other more prominent and primary gods, slightly bordered off from the rest of society. It was fairly obvious to see how class and status defined your standing in this culture. The terrace was adorned with ivy and rich-coloured flowers; everything around us looked like it cost an arm and a leg.

Gold and silver plates, bronze jugs filled with rich, dark wine and milky ale and fiery torches hanging from the branches of the high, evergreen trees. Golden chalices were clutched in every hand; even mine was filled to the brink with a dry, sour white wine, with cold condensation running down the rim. I took a sip, savouring the intoxicating taste.

Thanatos rubbed the back of my hand with his thumb; "You're still fine with the plan?"

I nodded my head. Of course we didn't come here ill-prepared. The den of wolves was exactly the place we hoped would shed more light on Ares' schemes and the identity of his mysterious partner.