(45)A Saviour's White

'Humans are terrified of death, yes, but they're also not afraid to live...'   

A Saviour's White

I woke with a startle

"Goddammit, Alexus!" I slammed my fist onto the ground, nearly shattering my bones in the process. I scanned the environment. It was dark.

I was in the palace- Thanatos' palace. All the lights were off and the sky outside was a deep midnight blue. No stars were visible, just a crescent moon, but something wasn't right. The air was to warm and the wind was too low.

It felt like I was in a dream. The earth moved like a daze.

"Where am I?" I shouted out. I was in one of the long hallways. I think perhaps on the third floor? Every hallway looked the same, but I remember once getting lost in this specific area and having Alexus guide me back to my room. That was still during the first week when I'd arrived here- when she was so kind to me.

"Alexus!"

"Calm down." She stood across the width of the wide hallway, her back to the open balcony. I raced towards her, my hands ready to clench around her throat, but as I sprang up to ensnare her, her body wasted away under my touch.

A mirage.

"Fuck you!" I yelled and growled; "I'm not in the mood for you games! I have lives to save!"

"No."

"NO?" I laughed and waved my hand above my head; "No?"

"No, you have to see the truth first before your ruin this opportunity for you to be free."

I scoffed at the air and her mirage reappeared across the hallway. I eyed her with anger, knowing that if she really was here right now, I would want my hands around her neck. "What are you talking about?"

"Don't you see?" She narrowed her eyes in confusion, as if the obvious was evading me; "Thanatos is the cause of all of this."

I growled in anger and swung my hands up to my head, but she paid no attention to my frustration; "You need to see how badly he's affected you; how twisted he's made you."

"You're twisted, Alexus! You are!" I shouted and felt my anger rise to a boiling point.

"I'm not innocent, but I can love you more than he can and I can help you get back to the sweet girl you were."

I glared at her, but my mouth fell open in shock. "You're crazy." It was a whisper but it was laced with so many realisations. "You are crazy, oh my gods. I don't know how I never saw it?"

"Aurora, please..."

"It's probably not your fault." I continued, not even speaking to her, just saying it out loud; "You were so broken and they all used you and, yes, there probably was something damaged in you before. I mean, you kind of committed suicide? Oh my gods, you tried blood magic before, didn't you?"