(13)Embrace the Starlight

'I saw that all-too-familiar flash of dread. Death is here...'

Embrace the starlight

I returned to the hospital while the sun crept over the edge of the horizon, the day done and dusted

We'd found no trace of Sybaris' children; their putrid stench gone from the park, but some of the stoned pavement was still splattered with Sonya's blood. We spent most of the day searching for any sort of trail that might lead us to them or any suspicious activity, but we weren't that lucky.

They weren't as dumb as I remembered them. It seems even Sybaris' brood could learn to adapt.

Barrios was exhausted and ragged from worry. He cared for Sonya; much more than he was supposed to. I wanted to scold him and reassign him to another task, to be sure of his focus and enforce clarity, but the poor man was too invested. He loved her. It would only distract him more not knowing how she was holding up.

I knew what it felt like. I don't think Barrios expected me to be so lenient with his slip-up, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. When I'd told him about Sonya and how she was stabbed, I could see the hurt and shame overwhelm him. He wasn't one to break down on duty, and just that slight lean against the wall showed me just how deeply he felt. His guilt was eating at him.

I'd been in the exact same position he was- I too felt like it was all my fault whenever Aurora got hurt. He didn't need me to reprimand him; he would do it himself, and far worse.

"Is there anything else, my lord?" He asked as he bowed, his tired green eyes cast down.

"No. Go help Zaul and his men watch over her parents. I'll call for you if I need anything."

I turned to leave, but Barrios' nervous voice pulled me back. He avoided my eyes; "My lord, I don't want to be forward, but is there a chance that I could see her? Sonya, I mean."

I knew who he meant.

I sighed, my headache subtly throbbing.

I looked towards the room where the girls stayed; the corridor was empty and bright. I wanted to get back to Aurora and feel her warm and safe in my arms. I imagined that's what Barrios wanted as well, but this wasn't the right time.

"I'm afraid not. Now is not the best time."

He was disappointed. He nodded and thanked me. I quickly added; "Come to the palace this week; you can see her there."

Barrios furrowed his brows; "The palace?"

"We'll be moving them to a safer location. In my palace we'll be able to watch over them directly, at all times."

He looked relieved as I spoke, his smile returning for the first time since before the accident; "Oh, good! Good... I'm- That's good."

I nodded to him. He was dismissed. Barrios bowed again and left. I liked handing him important tasks to do- he was reliable and reserved. He didn't talk back or pretend in front of me, to impress me. I knew his worth and it was great.