(24)Ivory Tusks Cut Deep

'We were in the belly of the beast. One wrong move and it's game over...'

Ivory Tusks Cut Deep

"Oh. My. Gods."

Thanatos' painful groan was frankly the highlight of my morning. He slowly ran his hand down from the crown of his head to the end of his chin, his red eyes almost black with exhaustion and pain. He looked like hell- still irresistibly good-looking, but like hell nonetheless.

"Here." I handed him a tall glass of cold water. He took it eagerly, bringing it to his dry lips. Hypnos was laying down on the double bed I had to share with the both of them. His orange eyes were cast up in thought.

"Thank you." Thanatos gulped down the water in one chug. I brought Hypnos' glass to him, my smile widening as he looked up at me in regret.

"Why didn't you stop us?"

"So I'm your babysitter now?" I laughed and sat next to him on the bed as he sat up to drink the cold liquid; "Just close your eyes, it'll get better."

"I feel like death is the only thing that could make this better..."

"Not to disappoint you, dear brother, but I'm doubtful I can." Thanatos placed the glass on the table in front of him as he sat hunched over, his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.

Hypnos didn't even bother to respond- he looked pale and almost sickly.

Now that's a hangover I can do without...

"Alright... Let's get back to the matter at hand." Thanatos sat back in the big armchair, his eyes closed against the light.

I'd already closed all of the curtains and any remaining sunlight was blocked out by a small cloth Thanatos had placed over his eyes as he spoke.

After returning from Athena's room, the little box containing, what I thought was Zeus' heart, I found the two brothers laughing and lounged on the floor, their smiles bright and wide as I stepped through the threshold. They had gotten to loud to hide anymore, and so I quickly dodged downstairs to strike a deal.

A deal with the king.

Found Apollo charming his way through a large group of admirers and quickly pulled him side; "I have a favour to ask."

He suddenly looked extremely interested; "I'm listening."

"I'll light the fireworks for you and stay until tomorrow evening, but I require a room to lodge in tonight. For me and the twins. Somewhere safe and private." Apollo eyed me with annoyance. I quickly added; "Please."

"Sounds more like a bargain than a favour..."

I titled my head to probe an answer from him, ignoring the remark.

He sighed; "Well, if it means you'll stay, then I suppose I can arrange something. Normally guests just pass out here or head home for a bit, but you are special..." He reached for my cheek, but I quickly pulled away, much to his annoyance; "Third floor. The Ivory room. I'll let the guards know."