(52)When White met Black

'My heart filling with love as I stared up at the man I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with...'

When White met Black

I sat under the old oak tree, watching the horizon burn with melancholy

Dodona was lit with a haze of coral and the dying light of the sun. The old magical oak that I'd burnt to a crisp was reduced to ash, now scattered across the large amphitheatre. The ancient Greek ruins lined the fields and grassland, leaving an odd taste of nostalgia in my mouth.

It felt so long ago when I'd come here the first time to find Trimorphe. She sat next to me now, purring contently and peacefully staring up at the clouds. Her paws were tucked close to her stomach and her fur soft and white. My hand rested on her back, letting her calm heartbeat flow to mine.

Across from me, over the freshly growing grass, floated a dark mass. Shadow was scurrying around, examining the place; his eyes bright and curious. I smiled up at him. The more time I spent with Shadow, the more I realised that he was Thanatos, but as a child. As that young, curious and partially innocent and naive boy.

It was curious sight, one I very rarely could wrap my head around. No matter, I knew I would never be able to know every single horrid and unbelievable thing Thanatos had to endure and experience in his past, but I knew his future.

And that was better.

"Well?"

A voice spoke from behind me and I lifted my gaze up from the horizon to stare out at the darkening sky. I sighed softly, my eyes tired from being in the sun for too long; "Nothing."

Thanatos didn't say anything as he walked up to me and came to stand next to Trimorphe. Absentmindedly, his hand petted her head, stroking down the thick fur. She purred, but neither of them acknowledged the fact that they'd gradually grown accustomed to each other's company.

Shadow, who was twirling around a tree, noticed that his master had appeared and raced towards the darkly dressed god of Death. Thanatos chuckled softly and rolled his eyes as Shadow cooed and chirped, bringing its head up to Thanatos' hand to pet.

I smiled back down at the ground where the old sacred tree had been. Nothing now but green sprouts and fresh-smelling weeds bursting from the dark soil.

"How was your day?" I asked and pinched a small pebble in my hand.

Thanatos sighed and sat down next to me. He draped his long, black cloak around my shoulders and rubbed his shoulder against mine. Instantly, I felt safer, even as the Grim Reaper reached for my hand.

"Uneventful." He stole the small pebble from in between my fingers and brought it up to his face. "How long have you been trying now?"

I shrugged and ran my hand over his; "Since midday."