(30)As hard as Marble

'What's your move now, lord Death?'  

As hard as Marble

We reached the edge of the tunnel, the end of the cavern almost in sight

I wasn't entirely sure how long we'd been in this God forsaken cave, but it must've been around two or three days. No one could tell just when or which way the sun was setting anymore. Everything was covered in pitch black and my men were more exhausted from the mental drain than the physical excursion.

It wasn't so much that we had to run around and fight to survive or to drive her out; it was more of a really long and tedious game of hide-and-seek

It wasn't so much that we had to run around and fight to survive or to drive her out; it was more of a really long and tedious game of hide-and-seek. She was crafty and knew these tunnels far better than us. Her children were a nuisance, but not as bothersome as these little aggravating traps she'd planted.

Hypnos' hand clasped onto my shoulder, slowing me down; "You need to sleep soon, you're pale." I shook my head in stubbornness, causing Hypnos to sigh.

"I'm fine. Rather check the men."

"They're holding up, but you-"

"Stop this." I whispered to his face, pressing my palms onto his chest. The men around us continued to search the large tunnel, making sure every nook and cranny had been thoroughly investigated.

Our two squads had met up the next day at the same crossroad, only to deliver the news that there were many more ahead. Each side found a whole labyrinth of tunnels and pathways, all shrouded in darkness and a putrid mossy stench. Sybaris had burrowed into the very earth; creating a series of twists and turns and uncovering ancient tunnels from far back.

We were all pushed to the limit trying to keep each other alive and clear-headed enough till we managed to sniff her out.

I pulled Hypnos towards a dark alcove; "I need you to stop worrying."

"Thanatos, you're my brother-"

"Yes, and I appreciate the concern, but I just can't deal with everything at once. Just give me another day or two. This cavern is coming to an end- she can't hide much longer."