A Hole In My Life (Chapter 16)

Ava never ran this fast before. Not even to get the winning home run during the championship games for softball. She wiped her tears away, trying to put on a brave face for her little brother.

"Tyler!" Ava calls out to the frozen figure in front of her. Tyler's eyes were wide open and tears were falling, more than Ava has ever seen her brother shed.

She runs over and hugs him, one hand on the back of his head, his blond hair clearly messy. "Ava.." her brother cries out, closing his eyes and hugging her tightly.

"It'll be okay. It will all be okay, don't worry...tell me what happened..." Ava asks, feeling the wet tears on her shoulder.

"I-I came down the steps and mom was having a lot of bottles...I told her to stop but she wasn't listening...today's-"

"-their anniversary!" Ava cries out in shock.

"Did you forget?" Her brother questions, his brown eyes showing nothing but worry.

"It slipped my mind...argh, that was so stupid of me!" Ava shuts her eyes.

"It's not your fault! I should've stopped her," Tyler says, breaking the hug and looking at her straight in the eye.

"But it is! I should've remembered that mom gets even more sad today and that you're only twelve!"

"You're in high school! You have other things on your mind! I'm close to thirteen, I should know how to handle this but I didn't..."

"It's not your fault..."

"It kinda is, let's say it's both of our faults.."

Tyler looks at his sister and holds her hands. "What do we do?" He asks quietly.

"We need to visit her...once she can have visitors..." Ava answers, looking worried.

--

Urana stood there, digesting the words Ava just spoke. Just today her parents made her upset, and now Ava's mom is in the hospital? Just a week or so before they all found out that she and Brenton are twins, and only a few weeks ago did they all find out about Alex's abusive parents and freed him from that.

The only person who hasn't had something like that...

...is Owen...

"What in the world is happening?" Urana questions in a small voice. A tap on her shoulder makes her jolt.

"Relax. It's just me," Owen says, concern all of over his face. Urana couldn't remember any time where Owen looked this worried about someone other than his family...before meeting Sensei that is.

"What happened?" Amy asks, running up to them.

"Ava's mom had too much alcohol.." Urana's voice trails off.

"Her liver must've been affected badly...does she drink often?" Owen asks.

"I don't know. But Ava needs support right now," Urana replies.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Amy questions. "I'll get Sensei, you guys get going."

Owen and Urana nod, then Alex and Brenton showed up.

"Jeez you can run fast," Brenton huffs.

"Heh, you guys seriously need to practice more. Anyway, you two go and be there with Ava, I'll join you guys with Sensei," Amy tells them, then runs off.

With that, all of them run towards Ava's house.

--

Ava brings Tyler inside, handing him his favorite juice to drink while she paced around. After a few minutes, the home phone rings. Ava dashes to it, causing a breeze to swift across the room.