We Trust, You Lie (Chapter 35)

The night before, the teens all gather at the treehouse. They put all sorts of items into Ku's cloak pockets and Amy's jacket pockets.

"Brenton...do you really think that those regular old bandages and first aid kit are gonna help them?" Urana watches as he put one in Amy and Ku's pockets.

"Well no...but it's the thought that counts?" Brenton shrugs with a shy smile.

"In our case, yes, so just do it," Owen comes over and gives Brenton a single pat on the back...a little too hard that the air gets knocked out of Brenton.

"Sorry! I forgot about my super strength," Owen apologizes immediately.

"Here, lemme help," Ava points her finger at Brenton's mouth and some air flows right in.

"Good grief dude, also thanks Ava," Brenton takes a huge breath.

"Guess I still need to get a better control huh," Owen opens and closes his fist.

"It's like a new skill so it takes time and practice," Alex chimes in, not wanting Owen to feel down.

"That and the fact that it's pretty easy to forget that sometimes," Urana adds.

"So it's fine, don't worry about it dude," Brenton pats Owen's back once.

"I really don't get the whole patting each other's back between guys," Ava states.

"It's just a thing," Alex, Brenton and Owen shrug.

"Well, either way we should get going," Urana checks her phone for the time. "It's almost seven."

"Alright, see ya guys tomorrow!" Ava waves. "Exiro Magic Spaceldo," Ava recites the spell and then steps through the portal.

"Yeah, I'll see you guys tomorrow too," Brenton nods and leaves next.

"Bye, see you tomorrow," Urana puts two fingers to her forehead and then lifts them in Alex and Owen's direction, then leaves.

"Well, let's get going Alex," Owen stretches. "Don't want to leave Sensei all alone."

"Right, I want to say bye before he and Coach leave," Alex nods his head in agreement.

---

The following morning, Alex wakes up to the sun shining on his face. It lights up his face and makes his freckles glow.

"Haha, good morning sun," Alex reaches towards the sun, his eyes slightly squinted. "Sensei says that once I become better with my magic I won't have to squint to look at you!"

The sun glows brighter, as if saying it's happy to hear that news.

"You know sun, I really don't wanna see Sensei or Coach get hurt. Can you make sure they're safe?" Alex asks, worry on his face.

"Well, I know you're different in the Magic World but I'd really appreciate it if you could," Alex smiles up at the sun.

"You talking to the sun again?" Owen pops his head from the crack of open space between the door and the wall.

"You talk to the Earth all the time!" Alex protests, getting out of bed.

"If it makes you feel better, I asked for the Earth to make it easier for Sensei and Coach to defeat whoever they're fighting," Owen says casually as his head leaves. "And I prayed a lot last night for them."

"...we're all kinda weird right?" Alex laughs. "Expect for the praying part."

"Oh, yeah, totally. There is literally no other way to describe us," Owen agrees, letting out a chuckle.