Staff of Misery (Chapter 25)

"Transport to Misery Ruins!" The three of them say at the same time. The plate lights up and within a moment the five teens disappear in a flash of light.

Suddenly, the five teens find themselves falling from the sky.

"Is this supposed to happen?!" Alex yells out as he keep his limbs from ripping off of him.

"How am I supposed to know?!" Owen and Urana cry out at the same time.

"Let's hope those trees break our fall!" Ava tries to warn them about the forest that they were about to fall into.

"Yeah and break some bones while we're at it!" Brenton yells sarcastically.

"Well it was your idea!" The other four yell back at him.

Brenton didn't get a chance to reply when they all start to hit the leaves of the trees.

"Wings!" Ava wills and a pair of feathery white wings come out of her back. Looking surprised, Ava quickly dives to grab her friends.

"Owen, you gotta carry everyone!" Ava quickly grabs Owen's wrist.

"Yeah, let's hurry!" Owen holds onto Ava's wrist and prepares his other hand. Ava nods and swiftly moves to catch Alex. Owen grabs Alex's arm.

"You have wings?!" Alex looks at Ava in surprise.

"That is not the important thing right now. Get ready to catch Urana," Owen looks up to see Urana falling right past them. Ava quickly dives down again as Alex reaches out his hand to Urana and the water mage reaches her hand towards it.

"Got it!" Alex and Urana exclaim as Alex grabs Urana's wrist.

"Brenton we're coming!" Ava calls out as Brenton's back hits a branch. Ava abruptly stops right before Brenton, making the chain of her friends move forward to Brenton. That allows Urana to catch Brenton by his foot.

"Oh my gosh...I'm upside down!" Brenton sighs in relief, then almost yells.

"You guys are so heavy! Seriously cut down on those snacks!" Ava huffs with effort.

"Hey, don't drop us now!" Owen looks up and lifts his arm up to keep Brenton from swinging into the branches.

"I'm trying!" Ava grunts as she moves them over to a clearing. She slowly descends onto the ground. Once all of her friends were on the ground safely, Ava lands and with a deep breath her wings disappear as she sits down.

"You have wings!" Alex exclaims. "That's super cool!"

"Thanks for the save," Urana breathes.

"Smart thinking," Owen nods in acknowledgment.

"That was amazing! You good?" Brenton goes from relieved to worried.

"Yeah...yeah...just gimme a minute.." Ava breathes deeply. "Okay, I'm good now."

"That was fast," Urana notes.

"Did you know you have wings?" Owen asks.

"No I had no idea..." Ava looks at her back and doesn't see them again. "Adrenaline rush? But like super magical to show my ability of wings and letting me know how to fly?"

"Most likely," Urana nods her head.

"Now where's the ruins?" Brenton looks around.

"I'm pretty sure it's that," Alex points to the tree where there's an open door.

"Wow, convenient," Brenton nods his head and walks towards it.

"Man I didn't think we'd be falling from the sky...also I feel strange," Ava notices.