ten

Eve's POV

It was a perfect day, the sky above was a soft shade of blue and completely clear of clouds. But the wind was cold, blustering loud against the windows. My car was parked outside the gates to Alice's small school, which was tucked secretively behind a few shadowing trees.

Harry had text me early this morning asking if I could pick her up from school and take her to his work. Of course I happily obliged, seeing as I had no plans after school, save for work at my second job at the restaurant that started at 7pm.

The distant sound of the school bell rung, causing me to exit my car and walk to the front of the school where the kids were piling out of the front doors, running to their various parents and caregivers and excitement rushing through the air since school was finally over for the day.

"Evie!" I heard Alice's voice yell, seeing her little body sprint down the steps and run towards me. I bent down to my knees just in time to catch her in a tight hug, lifting her up as I straightened myself up. Her short arms wound the best they could around my neck, her legs hooking themselves to my hips as she hugged me tight.

"I thought Aunty Gem was picking me up?" she questioned, pulling back to stare in awe at my face.

"Gemma's feeling a bit sick today so your Dad asked if I could come get you, that ok?" I asked, and a wide grin spread across her face, before she nuzzled her face into my neck.

"I'm cold, can we go to the car?" she whined, and I took that as a queue to retreat back to the warmth of my car and place her in the spare booster seat I always carried around with me. Once I had finished buckling her up safe, I walked to my own seat, putting the key in the ignition and pulling away from the curb.

"How was school today?" I asked, watching her through the rear view mirror. Her little face scrunched up in disgust, her fingers entwining together in her lap.

"Boring" she huffed, throwing her head back against the seat.

"Did you learn anything?" I pressed.

"No."

"Well you're a bit grumpy today, aren't you?" I teased, only to see a frown settle over face and her arms wrapping tightly around her stomach.

Her lips pouted, groaning tiredly "I'm hungry"

"Shall we stop to get something to eat then?" Her face seemed to brighten up at my suggestion, lips pulling over her teeth into a thrilled smile.

The traffic was a little heavy, the afternoon rush of parents picking up their children from school evident in the busy streets. We teetered slowly through town, eyes peeled for any car parks that would help aid us in finding somewhere to eat some food. My shift at the restaurant didn't start till 7pm, and it was only 4pm, so we had plenty of time.

After Alice managed to spot a car park, I don't know how she did it, we were on our way down the footpath, bundled up in coats and hand in hand walking inside a little café on the corner of a cobble stoned street. I pushed the door open and we were enveloped with warmth and the smell of freshly baked goods.

With much consideration and a few minutes of Alice pressing her nose against the glass cabinet which held a number of delicious looking pastries and cakes, she settled on a plum danish and a small hot chocolate, myself deciding on a cup of a tea and a blueberry muffin.

Alice ran through the small café to an empty table situated in the corner of the room, bracing herself on the cushion of the chair before hauling herself up to sit on it. Her knees sunk into the cushion whilst she rested her arms on the table, her fingers tapping impatiently against the shiny wood of the lacquered tabletop.