thirty six

Eve's POV

"Good afternoon, Ms. Hunter," Lauren, the receptionist, beams at me when I walk through the lobby. I greet her with the same smile, noticing how much more organized she seems to be after working as Harry's assistant for a longer period of time. Her desk looks immaculate, a place for everything and everything in it's place.

Harry had seemed extremely rushed on the phone when he called me to stop by his office after school. I could tell that he must of been having a busy day, because the way he snapped at me over the receiver was enough to make me want to drop everything I was doing and go and help try to relieve some of the stress he was obviously under.

"You can just call me Eve," I inform her, and she nods before gesturing to Harry's office.

"He's already expecting you, so you can go right in. He's been quite irritable today, just a heads up." She warns, chewing on the end of her pen with her perfectly white teeth.

I let out a breathy laugh, because I completely understand where she's coming from. For people who aren't as close to Harry as I am, he can be intimidating at times of distress. Obviously he doesn't mean to be, but it's the dangerous mix of his dominant aura and his incredibly charming looks that seem to frighten people most of all.

Slinging my backpack back over my shoulders, I made my way cautiously to Harry's office. I didn't really think to knock seeing as he's expecting me, simply walking in and closing the door behind me. I can see why Lauren seems to think he's irritable, his tall frame rigid and stiff as he paces in front of his desk. His hands are stuffed in his pockets, head bowed and legs taking long strides backwards and forwards, clearly deep in thought about something.

His eyes glance up to me as the door clicks shut, a small smile twitching at the corner of his mouth. He doesn't attempt to say anything, just strides quickly towards me, the urgency in his actions evident as he grabs my face and crashes our lips together.

It's a flurry of uncoordinated lips and clacking teeth, Harry wasting no time in pushing his tongue into my mouth and sliding it against the roof, licking eagerly all whilst gasping for much needed air. His hands slide down my sides to my hips, pushing me back hard against his office door, the sharp corners of my textbooks digging into my back from inside my school bag that's squished uncomfortably against me.

"Harry," I say sternly, pulling away to finally greet him for the first time since I walked into his office. I can tell that he isn't happy that I stopped kissing him, his brows angled downwards and the deep creases that I hate seeing on him running along his forehead.

Removing my hand from his mouth, I run my fingers gently across his creased forehead, Harry's face instantly softening at the realization that he's frowning. I feel the rest of his body relax against me, his hips pulling away from being pinned to me early on, and his fingers immediately stop pressing themselves so deftly into my sides.

"Eve," he breathes, almost as if he can't believe I'm here, mouth curving upwards at the sight of me. I grin back at him, moving forward and gently slotting our lips together. It's much more soft than how we kissed before, Harry finally coming undone from all the stress he was under.

"Is everything okay?"

"Not really," he mumbled, swollen lips hovering overtop of mine. His hands brushed themselves down my back and to my thighs, squeezing them in silent demand, "Jump."

I obliged happily, jumping as Harry scooped me up, my legs wrapped tightly around his waist. He walked us both over to his desk, his lips pressing themselves sweetly against my mouth whilst he sat me down over the edge.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, Harry settling himself down in his office chair and moving to sit between my legs, his large hands kneading at my thighs, although it seems that I should be the one comforting him right now.