Chapter 9: Palette

Bad Boy in Love:

Chapter 9:

Once I had recovered from the shock, I held out the lunchbox.

"I got sent by Jimin to give you your lunch," I explained.

"Sorry for scaring you, I thought it was a fangirl," Jungkook replied with an easy smile. "I was expecting Jimin."

I could understand his cautiousness. He would have only seen the top of my head and I clearly wasn't his older brother.

I stood on my tiptoes and handed Jungkook the box. Once he had safely received it without in dropping, I turned to go. My work here was done.

"Stay," he called out suddenly. "It's lonely up here."

Like hell I was going to do that. I was going to back to the cafeteria to where the fun people that weren't Jungkook were.

"Make me," I huffed and took a step away from him.

I heard him open up the doshirak and a distinctive rustling sound was audible.

"I have a kinder egg," he announced.

Well, I couldn't say no to chocolate.

"You should have said that before."

I stepped onto the ledge so I could sit next to him and the kinder egg. I was tall enough to make it up onto the top without help. Sadly, the only thing I lacked was upper body strength.

"Do you need some help?" he teased and offered me his hand.

I gripped his wrist instead and used it to pull myself up. Once I reached it I made the poor decision to stand up. I lost my balance and tumbled on top of the most popular boy in school. Immediately I rolled off him and nearly fell off the top. Jungkook grabbed my waist just in time.

"There's never a dull moment with you around," he commented. "Sit here and eat the egg."

I crawled over to where he indicated and accepted the egg. It had better be worth the near death experience. The contents of his lunch caught my eye and I evaluated it.

My conclusion was that the person that had made it for him really liked him. Everything from the rice to the pancake was shaped and there were omelette hearts mixed in the rice.

"You're lucky to have a father that makes lunch like that for you," I said enviously.

Jungkook raised his eyebrows. "This is the same man that wakes me up every morning by pinching my nipples."

There wasn't much I could say to that. Jungkook's father sounded a little strange like mine. Not that my father woke up my brother my pinching his nipples. We both had alarms for that. His was currently a SHINee song.

"I thought the roof was prohibited," I observed once I had made quick work of the kinder egg.

"It is," he paused to look at me. "I have special permission."

My mind flashed back to what Amber had told me about his fanclub.

"Is there a story behind it?" I asked.

Jungkook nodded silently.

"I constantly got mobbed in the cafeteria. It was uncontrollable. In the end the school's lawyers and senior management decided that I had to spend lunchbreak somewhere else. Someone suggested the roof and here I am."

His fanclub were sounding more insane the more information I heard about them. I mean, he wasn't worth devoting time to stalk and follow. No one was.

Jungkook rewrapped his doshirak and took out his earphones. He held out one to me.

"Do you know IU?" he enquired in heavily accented English.

For a few seconds I was confused by the language and subject change. Then I processed what he had said.

"I do," I answered and put the earphone in my ear.

IU's most recent release was playing and I relaxed a little. I did like IU's music. He could have been a fan of someone worse like Justin Bieber.

"Was that all the English you learnt in the US?" I teased him jokingly.

Jungkook's eyes widened and his face went blank. It appeared that I had hit on the truth. Seriously, how had he survived in the US with that level of English?

"Jimin and Appa did most of the talking," he answered quietly. "I'm glad we came back here. It was a painful three months."

I stared at him in surprise.

"I came here two and a half months ago, we must have narrowly missed each other. What did you go to the US for?" I asked curiously.

It can't have been for English practice. He was terrible and it didn't sound like he had gone to school there.

He looked like he was trying hard to work it out. Then he promptly gave up.

"I don't actually know. Appa said it was for work. I did work that the teachers here sent me," he answered. "It seems strange now."

"I have no idea why we moved here either," I contributed. "I grew up in Korea, then we moved to the US after my mother's death. Then we suddenly moved here. It's fortunate I can speak both languages because my mother wasn't Korean."

My father always shrugged whenever Taehyung and I pestered him about suddenly wanting to move back to South Korea. It was that or he came up with a rap to distract us. The most recent one had been something like 'extra plus ordinary'.

We both jumped when the bell rang to signal the end of lunchbreak. I went to get back down so I could get to the classroom before Jungkook. Then I realised that it was a bit too much of a drop.

Jungkook noticed my unease and jumped down and held out his arms.

"I'll catch you," he said.

No way in hell was what I wanted to say. The smarter side of me knew that I couldn't do it by myself so I dropped down and he caught me in his arms. It was nowhere as romantic as it sounds. He recoiled at my weight and gripped my arms a little too hard.

"I bet if you did that to one of your fans they would faint in happiness," I quipped as we were walking back down the stairs.

"I swear you are the only person that wouldn't find it swoon worthy," he smiled widely at me. "That's what I like about you."

***

A/N: It's so fun to be a BTS fan right now. There's all this new stuff coming out to enjoy. I'm loving it. :)