Chapter 19: The Truth

Bad Boy in Love:

Chapter 19:

It was my brother diving on me that woke me up the next morning instead of my alarm. Once I saw his face next to mine, I pushed it away and burrowed myself in the covers so I could get back to sleep. Unfortunately my brother was not a person that was easily deterred.

"Crystal, I want to know what you said to Jungkookie-ah!" he sang happily and swiftly yanked the bedcovers away.

I snatched them back in irritation and covered my head again.

"Tell me, tell me," he whined and started pulling the covers out of my grip.

"Nothing!" I exploded.

I was saved from the inevitable fallout by my aunt walking in and wincing at the mess.

"What are you two doing?" she sighed. "You used to get on so well..."

Taehyung relinquished his grip, but gave me a glare anyway.

"Namjoon called to say that he's arriving today," she informed us. "It's strange because he wasn't due for a few days."

Unlike my aunt, I knew the true reason. He had agreed last night to come and explain everything to me. He wouldn't explain over the phone for some reason. Taehyung looked puzzled so I knew he didn't know anything.

"He can meet Jungkook then," he commented with a wide box-shaped smile.

I was confused by his reaction then I realised that Taehyung was idiotic enough to think that Jungkook was my future boyfriend that my father could pass approval on. Sometimes I wished I could be as ignorant as my brother.

"When's he due to arrive?" I asked, ignoring Taehyung's bait.

"In about an hour," she said and walked gracefully out. "Taehyung-ah, I won't buy you anymore Gucci if you keep tormenting your sister."

I had never been so glad for my aunt. My brother looked conflicted between Gucci and teasing me. Of course the Gucci won and he sped out my room with a spring in his step.

This left me alone to shower and get dressed. I declined Taehyung's attempts to persuade me to go shopping with Jimin and Jungkook and waited around for my father to arrive. I half-heartedly did some homework to pass the time.

There was a knock at the door around 11 and I checked the peephole to see someone that looked like my father standing outside.

He was wearing a black cap, face mask and a black hoodie. However I knew it was him because he had a distinctive face shape that couldn't be hidden.

"Hello Crystal," he greeted when I opened the door. "Is Jessica around?"

I closed the door behind him.

"She went out an hour ago and won't be back until later. Taehyung's gone shopping with Jimin and Jungkook," I explained. "There isn't anyone around to overhear anything."

My father's jaw noticeably tightened at the mention of Jimin and Jungkook. Hopefully I was about to find out why.

"Sit down," he said. "I'll make some tea. We can discuss it then."

He went off in the direction of the kitchen and I made myself comfortable on the couch while I waited. He remerged a few minutes later with two teacups. He handed me one and sat down opposite me.

"Where should I start?" he asked with a sigh.

I was momentarily silenced. There was so much I wanted to ask about. Ultimately I went for the one that would answer a lot of the other questions.

"Are you a mobster?" my voice sounded a lot shakier than I had intended. I knew that if he answered affirmatively there was no going back to my normal life.

There was a brief agonising silence before he answered.

"I am a leader of a mob," he confirmed.

It wasn't like I was completely surprised. Amber had constantly been telling me and there had been some very obvious hints that were unavoidable. It just sounded strange for my clumsy and idiotic father to say.

"How long for?" I asked hesitantly.

I was unsure if he'd been one whilst we had lived in the US or if he'd been one before I was born.

"I held the position for five years before your mother died and we moved to the US. I regained my title when we came back a few months ago," he informed me.

That meant he'd been one even before Taehyung was born. Had my mother known? I had so many questions.

"Did Eomma know?"

He smiled ruefully. "I thought it was fair to tell her what she was getting into. She still married me despite knowing the truth. She made me promise to never kill anyone though and I've kept that promise."

I filed that away to think about later. I moved onto something else I was curious about.

"What is significant about Kim Seokjin?"

He sighed.

"Jin- Kim Seokjin also leads a gang. We're in separate areas of Seoul so there's usually no reason for us to encounter each other. I was informed three months ago by my successor that he was encroaching on our territory and was trying to take it over. That's mainly why we came back here."

That solved the mystery of our sudden return to Korea. I'd never been able to work it out. I still couldn't quite believe that the slightly stupid looking Seokjin was my father's rival.

Then I remembered something.

"Jin took Jimin and Jungkook to the US around the same time we arrived here. Why was that?"

"He's a wimp," my father complained. "As soon as he heard I was coming back, he ran off. I 'persuaded' him to come back and face me."

From the little I knew about Jin that sounded likely.

"Have you settled your differences?" I asked cautiously.

"We were in the process when I heard that you were friends with his sons, had been to his house and even met him. If I find out that it was deliberate, I will take action," he vowed with a clenched fist.

I hadn't considered that Taehyung and I could have been befriended by Jimin and Jungkook deliberately. My heart felt like it had been clenched. Had Jungkook been lying about liking me?

I frowned and went back through all of our interactions in my mind whilst trying to hold back tears. My father looked at me in concern.

"Crystal?"

I was about to answer when the front door opened and I heard three sets of footsteps.

"Crystal?" my brother called out. "I've brought Jimin and Jungkook here. They wanted to say good bye before they have to get back to Seoul."

My father and I met eyes. Something bad could happen if they encountered each other.