Chapter 26: Bribery

Bad Boy in Love:

Chapter 26:

I had two theories. The first being that Hoseok was supposed to keep an eye on me. I eliminated that one as Taehyung was supposed to be looking out for me. The second and more likely theory was that he was watching Jimin.

My father walked into the study holding a cup of strong coffee and almost dropped it when he saw me holding the cheque.

"You're too good at finding things out," he said cryptically and sat down at his desk. "I suppose you want to know what it's for."

I crossed my arms at him and raised an eyebrow. He had better tell me the truth.

"I want to know why you are paying money to one of Taehyung's friends," I ordered.

"I'm employing him to tell me exactly what Jimin does at school. I'm still suspicious of him and want some information. I can't exactly get one of my gang members to infiltrate your school. I was in between Choi Minho and Jung Hoseok and chose Jung because he's easier to persuade."

I sighed. It did make sense, but I didn't like the idea that Hoseok who was such a kind and innocent person was working for a gang leader unknowingly, even if that gang leader was my father.

"He's been buying chocolates for us with the money you give him. Don't make him join your gang," I said and turned away.

***

After finishing revising last week's notes, I got into bed and laid down. Schoolwork was a good distraction for all of my other problems at the moment.

It seemed like Seokjin was always going to be an issue lurking in the background. There was the issue of my father hiring Hoseok. He might be paying him well, but it wasn't morally right. What could I do?

My phone flashed and my room was lit up by a burst of light. I picked it off my bedside table to see I had a text from Jungkook asking if I was free to talk. It was after 11, but I needed a distraction from everything.

To hide the sound, I burrowed under my covers before calling his number. The last thing I needed was for my father to hear me.

"Do you miss me that much?" I teased as soon as he picked up.

"I didn't get to talk to you all day," was the quiet reply. "We have a missed date as well."

Due to the sudden return to Seoul I had been forced to cancel our date. It had been sad, but I had more important things to worry about. Jungkook seemed to be more upset about it. Then again, he was in the dark about his father's true occupation.

"We still have weekends," I reminded him.

"That's true."

He sounded happier once I said that.

"Does your family know we're going out?" I asked curiously.

"No," he answered immediately. "If I tell them, I'm going to be teased forever."

I understood his feelings. I had been expecting more teasing from my family, but they seemed to appreciate that it would be annoying. Based on what I knew about Seokjin, Jungkook wouldn't be as lucky.

"That's a good idea. You can always come over here after school. Taehyung knows about us," I suggested.

"Then Jimin would want to come," Jungkook whined. "I'll see if I can give him the slip."

Jimin was an odd concern. He could be completely ignorant of the feud between our fathers or he could have attached himself to Taehyung deliberately. I couldn't tell at all. Maybe my father had the right idea about tailing him. In the meantime, I would have to avoid him as much as possible.

"Taehyung can take him out somewhere," I said dismissively and then remembered the rule about not having Jungkook around without Taehyung or my father in the house. "Maybe not. We're not allowed to be alone at home together."

I heard an odd sound on the other end. It sounded like Jungkook had spat something out.

"What does your father think we're going to do?"

When he said that, I realised what it sounded like. Whilst I knew why the restriction was in place, Jungkook would naturally jump to a different conclusion.

"Distract each other from schoolwork," I said hastily. "He's very serious about discipline."

"If you say so," Jungkook said sceptically.

**

My mood was better when I woke up despite not having much sleep. Jungkook and I had talked for an hour before I fell asleep in the middle of talking about his fanclub. He'd told me to hang up and get some sleep.

I turned off my alarm and rolled out of bed energetically and went in search of food. My father was packing his bag for work by the door and Taehyung was in the lounge, watching a trashy daily drama.

"Jungkook's coming over after school," I told my father.

"Your brother has to be here," he reminded me with a frown.

"I know. Has Jimin done anything suspicious yet?" I asked cautiously.

My father dropped a tropical patterned shirt into his bag, another reminder of his real occupation. This was followed by an interesting looking knuckleduster.

"Not noticeably. He's serious about his privacy. Either he's up to something or he's got a dirty secret that's nothing to do with us," he explained. "It's too early to know."

That didn't help me in the slightest.

"He might come over today. Do you want to come home early to observe him?"

If I played it right, my father would come home early and stick to Jimin and Taehyung so Jungkook and I could have some time together.

"Good idea, Crystal," my father complimented and patted my head. "I'll come back early."

I waved goodbye to him and grabbed my breakfast that I had prepared last night and ate it on the couch next to Taehyung. He was so enthralled by the drama that he didn't acknowledge my presence until I spoke.

"How cliché," I scoffed at the drama he was watching.

He gave me an odd look I couldn't interpret.

"Says the girl dating our school's bad boy," he smirked at me.

I flushed when I realised that he was exactly right. I was dating the school bad boy. It was odd to remember how I had thought of him as a bad boy when we first met. Now I knew he was just an ordinary awkward teenage boy. Someone that was saving a kiss for a fifth date was hardly bad boy material.

"You're friends with his brother," I pointed out.

He poked my arm affectionately.

"That's not too cliché. How about our father is a mob boss and his rival is your boyfriend's father?"

I stared at Taehyung in shock. Was he really aware of everything?