Chapter 15: Checkmate

Bad Boy in Love:

Chapter 15:

10 minutes later was when I began to feel some misgivings. Jungkook had decimated all of my pawns. I know they were practically powerless pieces and it was about quality rather than quantity, but it was making me worried.

I made myself feel better by eliminating his knights and rooks as part of a grand plan. My plan was about to come into fruition when I heard the door opening. I looked up and a tall and handsome looking man walked in. He was dressed like an average businessman although the pink shirt and tie were not what I associated with an office worker.

From the lack of reaction from Jungkook and Jimin I guessed that he was their father. There wasn't much resemblance between the three of them though.

"Who are the guests?" he asked curiously. "...Jungkookie-ah, if you break those chess pieces I won't make you lunch anymore."

He was definitely their father.

"This is Kim Taehyung and Kim Crystal," Jimin started the introductions. "This is Liu Amber. Amber and Crystal are friends with Jungkook and Taehyung is my friend."

Their father bowed his head. "I'm Kim Seokjin. I'm glad my sons have made friends."

I turned back to the chess set to find that whilst my attention had been diverted Jungkook had implemented a good strategy. I focused on not falling into his trap and when I looked up again Seokjin had gone.

"Appa has gone to change," Jimin told me. "He'll probably coming back wearing some pink monstrosity."

Jimin's predication was absolutely correct. His father returned wearing a pink outfit with multiple layers. Well, he was just in time to watch me defeat Jungkook.

"Check," I announced confidently.

Jungkook quirked his eyebrow at me and moved his King back as I had been expecting. I moved my piece again and he moved his King back in the range of another one of my pieces.

"Checkmate," I smirked.

Jungkook avoided meeting my eyes and shook my hand. His father on the other hand was delighted. He 'patted' me on the back, well more like smacked me enthusiastically.

"I've never seen anyone beat Jungkookie before!"

"Haven't you ever won a game?" I asked. Surely Jungkook had been beaten before at some point in his life.

He scratched his neck awkwardly. "I'm terrible at chess," he confessed.

I was beginning to think that Jimin and Jungkook's father might be a bit of an idiot.

When the time came to go home I was smiling in satisfaction. Jungkook was now obligated to do my Korean Literature homework for me. That homework was always a thorn in my side. Now I didn't have to worry about it until next month.

My smile died when we walked outside and I remembered the issue of my father and my next door neighbour. It looked like I was going to have to stay up late and see if they met again.

For once Amber wasn't making any speculations about Father Yoongi.

"Wanting you to eat lunch with him must be his way of saying that he wants to see you privately every day," Amber whispered to me as we were walking down the garden path to the gate.

I sighed in exasperation. There were more important things at stake than Jungkook.

Taehyung tossed me his spare helmet once we were out the gate and I waved goodbye to Amber.

***

One o'clock took a long time to roll around this time because I was waiting for it. I had occupied myself with doing some revision. Mid-terms were approaching soon and I was still catching up with a lot of work. Suddenly transferring from another country hadn't done my school grades any good. The curriculum in the US was very different to Korea.

At five past one I heard the back door open and my father footsteps. I stood as close to my open window as possible. I wasn't going to miss anything.

"Rapmon-ah! Hurry up," I heard an annoyed Father Yoongi moan.

"Shh!" my father reminded him brusquely. "What did you want to see me about?"

This should be when Father Yoongi dropped the tea.

"I followed your daughter to her new friend/stalker's house. At least she took a friend with her..."

"I know she and Taehyung went to a friend's house today," my father snapped.

"The security was pretty high, but I managed to sneak in," Yoongi continued on like nothing had happened.

I could imagine my father glaring at Yoongi across the picket fence. He must have actually done it because Yoongi went straight to the point.

"The two boys your children are friends with are the offspring of Kim Seokjin."

Of course I knew that their father was called Seokjin so I didn't understand the significance. My father reacted very differently.

"...Jin?" he gasped.

"Their father is definitely Jin," Yoongi confirmed.

"I'm taking them out of school," my father said angrily. "I'm sending them to their aunt in Busan."

I couldn't work out what was going on. We were being taken out of school and transferred to Busan? It had only been a few months since our last sudden transfer. What was the significance of Jin?

--

A/N:

This week has been hard due to the sad passing of Jonghyun. SHINee was the band that got me into kpop and has always had a special place in my heart. I've always kept track of their activities, solo and group. Jonghyun was one of the most talented idols in the kpop world and he will be missed. It is very sad that he chose to leave this world in the way that he did.

Jonghyun was going to appear in this story later on as Amber's older brother. It was going to be a surprise for my younger sister who liked him a lot and she reads this story. In light of the circumstances I will not put him in the story because it feels insensitive.