Chapter 27: Untold Truth

Bad Boy in Love:

Chapter 27:

"How did you-"

Taehyung cut me off by laughing.

"Just joking, of course our Appa isn't a mob boss. He breaks his wrist picking up anything small. How could he manage beating people up? Do mobs still do that?"

I squinted at Taehyung. Had he hit on the truth accidentally? Or was he pretending to be an idiot?

"Crystal, we are going to be late if you don't stop staring," he reminded me. "Finish your Kimchi fried rice and we'll get going."

I dutifully finished my breakfast and we left for school. We passed Jungkook's car on the way in and I discreetly held up a finger heart and then cringed at how embarrassing I had become. Jungkook sent me a text with a heart a second later indicating that he had spotted it.

Amber was already in her seat when I arrived. I hadn't told her much about what happened in Busan or the real reason why we had left so suddenly and I'd never texted her. I was still feeling conflicted on how to treat her.

"Jungkook doesn't pay you much attention anymore," she observed after he had turned up and walked straight to his desk without glancing at us.

"That's all right," I said.

It had all been planned between us. The plan had been effective so far. His fan club weren't giving me glares all the time and Amber hadn't passed many comments about us.

"Must have been the trip to Busan that killed it," she commented with an edge to her voice.

I glanced at her. Either she was implying something that I couldn't pick up or she really was annoyed that I hadn't texted her the past two weeks. I was willing to bet on the second option.

"I'm sorry that my phone was in the repair shop in Busan after I dropped it at the train station," I said.

That cover story had been my father's idea. It was believable and explained why I hadn't been in contact with her. Although it was worth pointing out that there had been other ways I could have contacted her including using someone else's phone.

She gave me a searching look and then returned to her normal self.

"I know Crystal, but I had to find out where you were from our homeroom teacher and I had no idea when you were coming back or if at all."

I stepped around to her desk and pulled her into a hug. Whilst I wasn't quite sure how pure her motives were for being my friend, she still had been a good friend since I had started school here. She was also my only real friend here.

"Hopefully it won't happen again, my aunt is fine now and we shouldn't need to stay there for so long again."

She squeezed me tightly and then pushed me away. Amber had never been a touchy-feely person.

"That's enough human contact for me today," she smiled.

I returned to my seat feeling relieved that I had overcome one hurdle for the day.

"Amber, what does your father do?" I asked curiously. It had been another one of those many things that had been bothering me.

"He's a Police detective," she said casually and looked me straight in the eye.

She definitely knew about my father and she seemed to know that I knew as well.

"How strongly do you feel about his job?"

She arched an eyebrow at me.

"He tells me a few things that he thinks I might need to know. If it's about your issue, I'm still friends with you, aren't I?" She said. "I don't pass information onto him, you know. I don't even know much."

A feeling of relief flooded through me. Amber wasn't just my friend because of her father, it had been her choice. I felt like hugging her again. She probably wouldn't let me though.

"Thanks Amber," I said cheerfully.

She shrugged nonchalantly.

"Anytime," she winked. "If you're that grateful, let me see your Physics homework before this afternoon."

That was one issue resolved. I was in a cheerful mood all morning because of that. I had a supportive boyfriend and best friend. Everything seemed to be progressing well. The Jimin issue might also be resolved by the end of the day.

Lunchtime was even better. I got first pickings in the lunch queue and a good seat with Amber. Then Taehyung dragged everyone over to sit with us which would have affected my mood if Jimin hadn't sent me off with Jungkook's forgotten lunch.

I accepted the task happily, although I did my best to look displeased on the outside. I ran up the stairs to the roof and looked up to see Jungkook sitting where he had been the previous time. When he saw me, his frown broke into a smile.

"I hoped I would see you instead of Jimin-hyung," he grinned. "Come on up."

I pulled myself up into the ledge and he helped me with the hardest part. Once we were sitting next to each other, I realised what I was finding suspicious about his grin.

"You forgot your lunch on purpose," I accused.

"Perhaps," he confessed and blushed.

I punched him lightly on the arm, but I was secretly pleased about it. I covered my smile by peering deeply into his lunchbox. There were less hearts in the rice this time. Jin must be too busy to cut out lots of omelette hearts.

"I've got Kinder for you," he said and dropped a box into my hands.

I frowned when I realised it wasn't the standard kinder egg. The label was all in English so I knew it had to be a Kinder product not typically sold in Korea. I hadn't seen this one in the US at all.

"Happy Hippo?" I read aloud.

"I looked for some different Kinder for you. You might get tired of Kinder eggs if I give you too many," he explained.

"Thanks," I said and instantly opened the box to take one out. "Are you still coming to my house after school?"

"Of course," he said. "Jimin-hyung is coming. I hope Taehyung-hyung can keep him away from us."

***

I walked home in a good mood. I was on better terms with Amber, I had spent time with Jungkook, had eaten well and was now going home to more Jungkook and food. I rounded the corner of the street before our house and smiled at the thought of Jungkook.

Then a black van pulled up onto the pavement next to me causing my heart to leap. I jumped back out the way and looked around. I was on a quieter street and the car had come out of nowhere. Now there was a man in a shirt not unlike my father's getting out the car. He was muscly and his eyes had a threatening glint. Was he one of his gang?

"Kim Crystal?" He asked gruffly. "Can you come with me?"

I took another step back and then another. All my senses were telling me to run.

"We just want you to meet someone?"

I looked around again desperately. There was still no one around.

"No," I shouted and the mysterious man reached for me.

I screamed loudly and I heard running footsteps behind me.

"What are you doing?" a familiar voice demanded. "Crystal, get behind me."

Jungkook lightly pushed me behind him and assumed a threatening stance. Instead of being intimidated by the presence of someone else, the man found it amusing.

"Jeon Jungkook, you can come with her. Your presence has also been requested."