CHAPTER ONE

Chapter 01

- Mia White -

12 years later

"Mia! Are you ready to leave? Ace is waiting for you outside!" my mom called from downstairs. Setting my brush down, I rushed downstairs to see my mom with a small smile on her face. "So you have everything? Your books? Paper? Binders?"

"Yes mom," I chuckled. "I have everything."

After giving her a small kiss on her cheek, I slipped into my runners and walked outside to see Ace's car.

It was the first day back to school, and honestly I was ready for my junior year. The last two weeks, I was preparing for this day. The only thing I'm not ready for is the waking up part. I am not a morning person at all. I'm going to miss sleeping in every day.

There were only a few days during summer I had to wake up early, but that was because Ace would take me somewhere to hang out. Most of the summer was me being with Ace, and it was fine with our parents because we've been close best friends since children.

"Morning," Ace greeted with his usual grin. "Ready for the first day back?"

I raised a brow. "Are you?"

"Nope," he said, popping the 'p.'

Ace hates school, but he had to go because of his father. Ace's future was going to be him taking over his father's company. A very large and important company that is.

This year was the last year Ace is going to be in ClearHills Academy before he graduates and goes to college. Meaning, that if Ace didn't get his high school diploma this year, his father would be furious.

However, I doubt Ace is going to fail. Despite the fact that Ace never pays attention during class, he's naturally intelligent, and has always had the top grades every year. He's that kind of person who likes to do the work and learning at home by himself rather than in class.

As Ace drove to school, we chatted for a bit. He saw more than thrilled when our first day back was on a Friday.

Once the car was parked, we got out and walked to the main entrance. I couldn't wait to see Sarah after such a long time. She left to vacation in Hawaii for a family trip. She traveled a lot during the entire summer, so I didn't get to hang out with her at all. Sarah has been my friend ever since kindergarten when we accidentally grabbed each other's lunchbox.

"I missed you so much!" I exclaimed when I saw her. I ran up to her and gave her a hug. "How was Hawaii?"

"Hot," she replied, slightly laughing. She looked behind me, and when she saw Ace, she smiled. Ace just have he a nod, his face as blank as ever.

"Still emotionless I see," Sarah joked.

Much to out relief, we all had a few classes together. I didn't want to be in a class where I didn't know anyone. Especially when the teacher announces that we have to work in groups.

My first class was with Sarah while Ace's class was on the other side of the building. The next class I had was with Ace. He's a senior, but our school allows us to have advanced classes if you were part of IB.

For example, I took ninth grade math in the summer, so when I was a freshman, I was taking sophomore math for half the year. For second semester of ninth grade, I took grade eleven calculus. Durning my sophomore year, I did essentials math and started grade twelve calculus. Since I'm a junior, done all maths and and now taking free university studies for the other.

It's complicated, but it's not that bad. Ace sometimes helps me when I'm struggling on a certain part, and I'm grateful for that. If it wasn't for him tutoring me, I'm sure I'd be failing.