Saving Poppy

"Your move" Poppy said.

The glow bug moved its round wooden  checkers piece to the other side of the board and took Poppy's second to last piece.

"Damn it! He's good" Poppy cursed under her breath. She sighed and moved her piece.

Poppy had been caught by a weird flower like monster and was inside its mouth. The flower was asleep now so it was easier to move around.

    The glow bugs glowing exterior was the only source of light inside the the flower and gave off a dim shine. But it was just enough light to play checkers.
Poppy sighed as the bug took her last piece and won the game.

   "You've been practicing, haven't you?" She asked it. The glow bugs wings fluttered in response which Poppy supposed was a yes. She sighed and watched as the glow bug put the pieces back in the places they were at the start of the game.

Poppy leaned back and rested her hands on the floor behind her as the bug took its first move. She was scared. Scared that she might not escape. Scared that her friends wouldn't be able to find her. But she still had the smallest sliver of hope left inside her. So she tried to be optimistic.
After the bug landed back on the floor, Poppy took her turn. She picked up one of the game pieces,

"Poooooooppy?!".

She perked up at the sound of her name, dropping her piece. A thousand thoughts buzzing through her head. Her head snapped to the petals of the flower. Poppy quickly stood and ran to the wall like petals.

"Hello?! Im up here?!" Poppy called back banging on the plant. The others heard the noise and came running.

"Don't worry Poppy we're coming!" A masculine voice called.

Poppy recognized the voice and stepped back a step. Her eyes darted around the flower when a small hole caught her eye. She grinned and ran to it. She peeked through the small slit. All she could see was darkness but a small light in the distance behind her. Heavy footsteps startled her. She turned around.

"Poppy?!" The voice asked, closer this time.

"I'm over here!" She called. The footsteps thundered in her direction around the flower. Poppy squinted into the hole once more but, something blocked her view. Something.... blue.

"Branch!" Poppy exclaimed.

The bluish-wall-like-cover-thing was replaced with an icy blue eye.

"Branch!" She said again.

"Poppy!"

"I'm so glad you found me. How did you find me? Oh my god I have so many questions to ask you-".

"Which there is plenty of time to answer later" Branch strictly interrupted, "but first, we got to get you out of there" He said feeling the flower petals for some way to get Poppy out.

"I know, I know. I'm just so happy to see you..." Poppy gazed into Branch's beautiful blue irises, "ugh! I wish I could hug you right now!" She said.

"I know. I wish I could too. But you just gotta hang tight until we can figure out a way to save you-".

Branch was cut off by a sudden movement. He pulled his hands away from the plant. Poppy scuffed away as the walls began to shake. The flower... was waking up.

🦋🍿🦋

Slowly, the beast rose. Poppy was pushed back towards the base of the flower. She squealed. The game board and pieces fell too smacking her in the head. She winced. The glowing bug flew after her. Trembling, Poppy clutched it tight in her arms. The bugs glow dimmed slightly. It was scared.