Chapter 1: 'Seeya Boys!'

Thornton Beach at midnight is my haven, it's when my world is at its calmest. It's playlist is songs of the waves and the wind carries secrets from long ago. It is here I am at my safest, sitting beside my brothers and being held close by the country I love.
Jarrah, Ace and Dover are the names of my three older brothers. The 3 men who'd protected me, guided me and taught me about the horrors and the beauty of life.
My brothers were 23, 22, and 21 when they were sent to Vietnam. It killed my dad, not physically but each time their birthdays appeared on the screen of our little box tv, the light behind his eyes faded. Mum didn't know what to do with herself, the boys were Australia's now, as much as Mum knew these boys were hers. We had secure but happy lives, the four of us. Our parents owned the General Store on the corner of High and Church street in a place called Palm Cove in Queensland. It was beautiful, we were always down at the beach, swimming or watching our boyfriends (if we had one) surf from dawn till dusk. My brothers taught me to surf when I was about 4 and I'd been doing it since, whether the blokes wanted me to or not. So, when I wasn't working in the shop or studying I was surfing.
Jarrah, Ace and Dover were all very different. Jarrah was very political, he was studying to be a lawyer and he hated the idea of being a soldier. Some days he stood in his room and screamed at the globe that stood on his dressing table. The day he smashed it was the first time I'd ever seen any of my brothers cry. My mum sat in his room with him for the rest of the day. 'I don't want to be a soldier mum, I don't want to be a soldier!' He repeated over and over again.

When Ace was 19, he was blessed with his most terrifying responsibility. Baby George. (Named after the George Young from the EasyBeats.) Ace's girlfriend was beaten by her dad after she attempted to come home after the birth, luckily George was at the shop or he would've been killed like Greta was. Ace had to make the decision as to whether he'd spend the first few years of his sons life with his son or go to war. George was nearly 3, Ace was about to miss everything. Ace only went to war to make some money, so his son could have the life Ace knew he deserved.

It was Dover who went for fun. He was 21, he was young and ready to make a name for himself. It was the classic "for Australia!" and "all my mates are going so I am too!" thing. Nothing would ever dim the sparkling light behind Dover's eyes, it was too bright and burning like wildfire.

Jarrah came round eventually, when the three of them were handed their uniforms by my mother and they were suited to go, he realised the pride he was to feel. It all became very real and suddenly it hit me; these boys might not come back. Australia might send my brothers to war but Vietnam might keep them.
My brothers stood out on the footpath at the front of the shop. Their smiles huge and pride beaming from their faces. I remember thinking there was no one more handsome than my three brothers. Nothing would compare to the sound of their laughter, and their encouraging presence.
'You boys have to stick together, it can get pretty rough out there and I need the three of you home again,' Dad breathed deeply attempting to contain his emotion.
'C'mon Dad, we'll be right,' Dover scoffed, his arrogance a little frightening.
'Don't worry about us Dad, we're strong, we all have a lot of life to live,' Ace continued.
'Plus you know how well an Australian can fight, and us Murphy's are some of the best,' Jarrah grinned, obviously the sudden realisation boosting his confidence.
'Now George, I have to go away for a while but I'll be back I promise,' Ace looked into George's little eyes, trying to get through to him.
'No daddy!' George wailed. A tear slipped down Ace's cheek as he held tight to his little boy.
'Be good for Nana, I'll be back little man, don't cry c'mon,' Ace cuddled George one last time before taking me in his arms.
'Love ya little sis, you're gonna go far,' he said.
'I love you too Ace,' I smiled.
Jarrah sighed, 'I'll watch em, don't worry beautiful girl,' he patted my shoulder and winked. I just nodded and kissed his cheek before he drew me close.
'I love you, don't forget that,' Jarrah heaved, almost as if saying goodbye was knocking the breath from his lungs.
'I love you,' I returned.
'Good luck Brooklyn,' Dover took my hand.
'Good luck Dov," I said as he twirled me around, my floating skirt spinning with the breeze.
'Love ya guts Bub,' Dover winked, before falling into the taxi cab next to Ace and Jarrah.
'Love ya guts more!' I said as I hoisted George onto my hip, wiping the tears from my eyes with my spare hand. Mum pressed a hanky to her face, her heartbreak showing in her green eyes.
The yellow taxi rolled away and 6 waving hands appeared in the back window. I stood on my tiptoes and waved as hard as I could as the car disappeared from sight. Mum, Dad, George and I didn't move from our spot on the side of the road for a long time, thoughts were running through our heads and doubts hung in our hearts. I didn't like the thought of living with our parents by myself but I was about to become something a lot more, (little did I know).
'Seeya boys,' I whispered, a tear slipping down my freckled cheek.