Chapter 6: Saying Goodbye

Dear Miss Brooklyn Murphy,
We are addressing you due to an urgent matter. As you are probably aware, Australia has been struggling with the lack of medical staff on duty in the Vietnamese jungle. We, the Australian nursing Corps, were hoping you would join us in doing our bit. Helping our boys get back on their feet.
Please respond with your decision within 5 days.
Kind regards,
Matron Margaret Cleary.

That letter wasn't shown to anyone I knew for three days. Those three days were my final days with Patrick and I wasn't dwelling over the fact I had to make a life changing decision. The airport on March 22nd, was buzzing with soldiers and passengers all on their way to making a lifetime of memories. Patrick was nervous, his hands were shaking and his eyes twitching. You could see his mind racing with thoughts of death and uncertainty.
'God planes take forever.' He looked down at his watch, tapping his foot in angst.
'Calm down Paddy.' I gripped his hand, my longing eyes looking up at him. He looked very smart in his slouch hat and khaki attire, but not as smart as he did in his cricket whites.
'Bloody nervous Murphy.' Patrick slumped into a chair, his face in his hands.
'Me too,' I told him. 'But we're gonna be alright, you and me.' He turned his anxious face to me, I watched as it softened.
'I'm sorry you have to go through all this.' Pat said, the pulse in his neck almost visible.
'Why are you apologising? I love you why wouldn't I-' we stopped. Both of us, dead still. In that moment time was non-existent, our worlds of simplicity and fame meant nothing, and I was just a girl waiting for the boy in front of me to whisper something.
'As wild as this sounds, the moment I saw you, was the moment I knew I'd found someone to spend the most amazing of times with, I love you with my whole heart Brooklyn Murphy and I hope you never forget that.' The sincerity behind his voice caused my eyes to well.
'Oh, what a plot twist you happened to be.' I said as I burst into tears as his lips pressed against mine, regrouping over again.
'Whatever happens my darling, I will never ever stop loving you, I will love you through every war, every cricket match, every up, down and sideways, nothing will ever be more powerful than us.' Patrick's words were so full of love. I nodded, my face a mess as we rose to our feet. He pulled me close, his strong arms winding their way around my body. I rested my ear against his beating heart, the soft motion soothing my body.
'That won't stop beating for a long time,' he informed. 'I'll see you very soon Murphy, don't forget to write and it'll all be over before you know it.' Patrick pressed a kiss on my lips. I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye. What if today was the last time I ever saw him? I felt like I'd known him my whole life, I'd never loved someone quite as much as I did him. Maybe he was the one.
'Please don't go.' I whispered, my lip wobbling.
'I have to,' he replied. 'I'll seeya later Murph.'
'Seeya later Pat.' I replied through a farewell kiss. He let go of me and picked up his bags, he walked out onto the tarmac, waving ferociously at me, a grin from ear to ear as his fellow comrades danced onto the plane.

Just like that, he was gone.

I had no trouble determining whether or not I would go to Vietnam. The world wasn't about to take four prosperous and beautiful lives with bullets and napalm, not if I had anything to do with it.

'Mum?' I called, her head peeking out from George's bedroom door. She glared at me, ordering me to silence with just her eyes. I sunk down onto the cushioned seat, beside the window that over looked the untamed ocean. His musty smell of leather and the earthy aroma of his cologne lingered in my nose, the crashing waves reminded me of his stunned face as he stood before a natural phenomenon that no person is worthy of viewing. Mum knocked me from my reverie, 'Brooklyn.' Her voice was hoarse. My lips parted to speak, the words that fell from my lips brought my mother to her knees.
'I'm going to Vietnam.'
Her lips twitched, and her cheeks flushed, 'No sweet you're not, we can afford to lose you, the business needs you.' Her attempt of persuasion failing miserably.
'Mum don't you get it?!' I rose to my feet and watched her tense. 'There is so much world out there, I'm not letting it be overcome by war, I'm saving more than just a man, I'm saving a future.'I held a face of determination.
'You're following that boy! The one from South Australia! You've totally forgotten about your brothers, what would they think of this?' she shouted, bringing my father to the room.
'Mum for the first time in my life I will tell you, you are wrong. Vietnam is getting out of hand, people are dying, they are low on nurses and I will not see my brothers die in a country that they owe nothing.' Tears were brimming in my flaring eyes. Mum fell to the ground, covering her face with her hands.
'That boy has given me something I never thought possible, you've given me a lot Mum, but he has shown me a whole new world and a new life to strive for.' I tried to contain my emotion but with every word I became more passionate and the more passionate I became the more I let go.
'I love him Mum, with my entire being I love him. He's so drastically swept me off my feet, he's never putting me down.' I felt a tear trickle down my face, I bent down to my Mum, Dad joining her on the floor.
'I leave next week, I'm sorry.' I muttered, I stood up and walked down the hall into my bedroom. The photo of Pat and I in the dressing rooms in Melbourne took pride of place on my dresser, I picked it up, smiling back at our happy faces.
'I'll be there soon Pat, I'll be there soon.' I whispered, nerves igniting in my stomach.