Chapter 17: Another Year Another Game

Christmas and New Year bought the most terrifying moments of Vietnam. You'd think we'd be celebrating, expressing how grateful we were to have seen out another year and entering 1967 with a smile. Most of us were, but not Penny, not Johnno, not Patrick nor I. Pat and Johnno recovered quickly from their similar wounds and had returned to the jungle mid-November. They were given 36 hour rec leave like many other soldiers from many other armies. Penny hadn't received a letter from Andrew since August, by this stage it was December 31st and seeing him almost killed Penny.

'What if he's granted leave while Johnno's in town?' Penny fretted, throwing a sheet as hard as she could over a bed.
'Penny you need to calm down, you and only you can break off the engagement.' I told her placing down a pillow.
'My mother would kill me, my father would kill me, Brooklyn you would never see me again.' She stated, Penny didn't know what to do with herself.
'Your family sound poisonous, your fiancé is poisonous, Penny you need to get out.' I said as we moved onto the next bed.
'Andrew would kill Harry!' Penny yelled.
'Patrick would kill Andrew before that happened, believe me.' I interrupted.
'I don't want to even thing about it.' Penny stood up straight and pressed her hand against her forehead.
'Maybe he had rec leave for Christmas and he was in Nui Dat.' I said, handing her the corner of the 50th bed we'd made that day.
'No, Brooklyn, he's coming here I know he is,  I'm about to be in a world of hurt just watch.' She stated, her mind ticking behind her blue eyes. I sighed and carried about my duties, I'd pushed most of the conversation out of my brain, there was more important things to worry about, but I couldn't help but think maybe she was right. Maybe someone would end up dead, with everyone accessible to a gun and when you're dealing with a dark, angry attitude like Andrew's, you could never be too sure.

'Sister will I be able to go outside and watch the boys fireworks?' Tim Hudson asked, hope glimmering in his eyes.
'One of those boys is going to end up in here if they're not careful, but yes I'm sure I can organise something.' I sighed with a smile.
'I didn't think I'd see the New Year, so this really means a lot, thank you Sister Murphy.' Tim grinned, trying to contain his excitement.
'Brooklyn!' Penny bellowed, the excitement behind her voice making me look up. Three pairs of eyes stared back at me, piercing green, sky blue and burnt emerald.
'Excuse me, I'm looking for a nurse she goes by the name of Murphy, she's about five foot three, has light brown hair and brown eyes, you haven't seen her have you?' Pat put his arms around my waist, drawing me into his beating chest.
'oh, sorry to disappoint you sir but she's out right now, can I take a message?' I giggled.
'Well, could your tell her that I have a New Year's eve cricket match to play in and I wouldn't mind a kiss for goodluck.' He said, his eyes filling with excitement.
'I guess I can do that.' I smiled lovingly before placing my lips on his, causing cheers to arise from the ward.

By four o'clock we'd shifted all the men, including the ones from America, out onto the benches the orderlies had set up around our makeshift oval. A few Aussies recovering from injuries had spent the week making a pitch by loading heavy boxes of ammunition onto the grass. The grass and dirt was rock hard by New Years and the VTCG (Vung Tau Cricket Ground) was blessed with a beautiful turf wicket. Penny sat beside me, her hands gripping the seat turning her knuckles white.
'Ladies and Gentlemen!' The familiar voice of Mark Cook echoed across the ground. All our attention was drawn to the centre of the field.
'I'd like to take a moment to congratulate you all making it through another year. Myself and Julian Pope will talk all you American's through the notion of my favourite game.' Mark had a grin I didn't think he'd get back.
'So I'd like to introduce to you the captains for today, first up we have Andrew Flemmington from Hawkesbury River in New South Wales.' Julian announced, Andrew strolled onto the pitch the crowd clapping. Penny's breathing was jagged and her eyes were closed. I clasped her hand in mine as Andrew stood with an expressionless face.
'Now, we've managed to track down the one and only Australian cricketer we have here with us in Vietnam, so, please welcome Patrick Carmondy from Marree in South Australia.' Mark sounded. The crowd erupted, including me, their applauding sending chills down my spine, I could only imagine the adrenaline pulsing through Pat's veins as he ran onto the pitch, waving and grinning. Patrick shook Andrew's hand and flipped the coin.
'We'll bowl.' Pat announced, before he trundled excitedly, back to the shed.
'Please welcome our umpires, Sergeant Peter Green and Lieutenant Beaven Long.' Mark shook the hands of the two uniformed men.
'Thank you to Paddy over there for organising the gear, stumps, gloves, bats, balls, pads, he really went above and beyond for us all so please welcome his team onto the field.' Mark and Julian ran over to microphones they had set up and the boys took their places on the oval. Pat was wicket keeping and Johnno was opening the bowling.
'Harry Johnson, the brother of Patrick Carmondy, is to bowl first to skipper Andrew Flemmington and Angus Lehmann.' Julian informed.
'I hope Johnno gets him out.' Penny whispered under her breath, just loud enough for me to hear. I shook my head with a smile, not interfering with her train of thought.
'Righto send her down Johnno.' Pat's voice echoed and a hush fell over the crowd. Johnno started running, his feet pounding against the soft dirt. He flew up and sent a fury of a ball down the pitch.
If you blinked you would have missed it. It happened so quickly even Andrew missed it, but the stumps didn't. No one moved for a few seconds, The were still processing the first ball.
'YES JOHNNO!' Pat cheered, the ball leaving his gloves and soaring into the sky. Andrew turned to the umpire who raised his finger signalling his was out.
The crowd erupted.