Chapter 27: Out of Hand-chester

May 30th, we landed in Manchester. It was raining which was apparently not unusual for English summers. The terminal was insanely busy, I think I lost Pat about twelve times. We were eventually reunited with the Aussie team out the front of the airport.
'Alright lads, I want you all the head to the cricket ground which I don't think is too far away, I want to get a light training session in before the jet lag knocks you all into next week so I'll see you all there.' Bill slid into the taxi, beside who I assume was his wife, whom of which sent me a glare. I fighting my latch on Pat's hand as we all loaded into seperate cars.

Manchester weather was certainly not holding back. Just when we thought the rain had eased off, the sky would produce a downpour so intense we could hardly see. These downpours didn't last long maybe maybe three to five minutes but they sure put some water on the ground. After the second one of these rain spells, Bill called it quits and sent us all to our hotels.
'Paddy, drinks at your place right?' Paul Sheahan asked, a cheeky grin spreading across his cheeks. Pat chuckled under his breath and nodded subtly.
'Onya Mate, you're a bloody legend!' Paul slapped his shoulder before announcing his news.
'It's bring your own!' Pat yelled.
'Righto seeya at seven!' Ian Chappell sounded.

'You were kidding right?' I asked, unlocking the door to the hotel room.
'Hate to break it to you love but I don't think so.' Pat replied, kissing my temple.
'I'm knackered Patrick.' I groaned, throwing my heeled shoes on the carpeted floor.
'So am I Murph, but this is more than just a few drinks.' Pat said, flopping onto the bed.
'What are you talking about? Of course it's going to be more than just a few drinks!' I stated, Pat laughed and shook his head.
'No, well yes, but the boys have only known me for one Ashes tour, in Australia, this is a test I'm not sure what for but this is my first international tour, they've got to see what I'm made of.' Pat explained. I sighed, and slumped down beside him, resting my head on his chest.
'You're paranoid my love.' I yawned.
'Maybe.' He replied. 'You'll probably get interviewed at the first test, you'll get on the Tele, here and in Australia too.' He said fighting to keep his eyes open.
'Well, make me more nervous why don't ya?! C'mon time for coffee.' I smiled wandering into the little living room. I looked in every cupboard, every draw but I couldn't find one skerrick of coffee anywhere.
'Is this a room service matter?' I questioned in confusion.
Pat laughed, 'Yes Murph it is.'

At exactly seven o'clock, as promised, a pounding knock echoed through the room.
'Hi, I guess you're here for Pat.' I sighed with a smile.
'Sure are Brooklyn, the girls are down stairs.' Garth pushed past me, followed by the other members of the Australian cricket team. I was a little confused for a moment, I caught Pat's eye.
'Go,' he mouthed. 'You don't want to be here!'
I nodded and grabbed my handbag. I bolted down stairs, in my high waisted jeans and yellow polka dot shirt. I stepped onto a crowded street.
'You must be Brooklyn.' A woman smiled, her eyes were bright blue and her hair blonde.
'Yes that's me.' I replied. She smiled and put out her hand.
'I'm Kath Sheahan, it's really great to meet you!' She grinned, handing me a glass of wine.
'So, um, where are we going?' I asked innocently.
'We are going to get to know you!' Another women said.
'That's Elizabeth Lawry, Joan Chappell, Mary Hawke, Alice McKenzie, Kate Gleeson, Beth Jarman, Ruby Connolly, Grace Redpath and Judy Cowper and we're here to  guide you through the night of your life!' Kath grinned, linking her arm in mine. I looked down at my feet with uncertainty written all over my face.

I don't think I had ever drunk that much in my entire life. The girls were handing me glass after glass of red wine, then they started on the vodka shots which I threw over my shoulder after the first three. It was the bloody tequila that got me.
'Go on try it, it can't hurt you!' Mary said, handing me the shot glass. I shook my head, 'I don't even know what that is!' I stated over the music. The girls cackled with laughter, throwing their heads back and drawing more attention to my innocence. I was a few months into 22, and I felt like a fifteen year old again.

'No more please!' I begged as the fifth shot of tequila focused in front of my eyes.
'C'mon down the hatch darl!' Beth tilted my head back, I screamed and quickly hoisted it back up.
'Right, I'm drunk but not drunk enough to let you girls do what ever you want to, when I've had enough it means I'm this close to spewing all over your pretty shirts.' I held up my fingers before pointing at their flamboyant shirts. They all looked a little bit like a kangaroo in front of headlights for a second after. Ruby and Kate began to clap, smiles plastered their cheeks as they applauded my outburst. Then the others began to clap, now it was my turn to be that kangaroo.
'Oh, by the way, Pat's cricketing skills just about tops all your husband's.' I said, the girls fell quiet.
'She's got a point.' Kate replied.
'Next Bradman.' Ruby chuckled.

At around 11:30 I was back at the hotel.
'Seeya tomorrow ladies.' I waved as I opened the door to my room. The Australian cricket team filed sheepishly out the door. I quickly slammed the door behind them and ran into the bedroom.
'Pat, you alive?' I questioned, seeing his half naked body sprawled by the toilet.
'Only just.' He sent me back a toothy grin. I laughed and sat down beside him.
'Tomorrow, we go down there and show em tonight did not affect us what so ever ok?' I explained.
'You got it.' Pat and I laughed, as he gripped a little tighter to the bowl.