Chapter 33: picked for australia

In the June of 1970, they started selections for the Australian cricket team. The Ashes were in November, around the date our baby was due to be born. Penny and Johnno moved to Sydney, but not under the best circumstances. Dorothy Johnson was diagnosed with breast cancer in the April and was given 2 months to live. Thank fully she had exceeded the limit and was given about 6 months more. "Death creeps up on you," she'd say. "But I've got two little grand children to meet, dont I?"
Did I mention that Penny was pregnant?
What is this life?
Anyway, Johnno was finally given the opportunity to trial for a spot in the team. Patrick was secured a spot after a magnificent run against the West Indies, so the excitement was most certainly brewing.

'What if they think I'm shit.' Johnno asked, nervously.
'Then you don't get picked.' Pat said, simply.
'Pat that was harsh.' Penny slapped his shoulder.
'It's true though he's not wrong.' Johnno responded. We all laughed as we pulled into the Hospital. Today was our 4 month check up, Pat could hardly contain himself and Johnno was very much the same.

'Mrs Carmondy and Mrs Johnson if you would like up come through.' The midwife invited us into an enclosed room. The walls were a light shade of pink and two beds were set up. Penny and I walked inside, our heart racing and hands clasped tightly in each other's.
'Hop up on a bed and we'll have a check on the bubba's.' The nurse smiled as she brought her equipment over to us.
I closed my eyes and felt the tool move over the skin of my convex stomach. The Pinard horn was taken from my stomach and moved to Penny's.
'Two extremely strong babies waiting to experience the world I think.' The nurse grinned. My fingers curled with excitement, I could hardly believe that there was a little baby inside of me about to enter such an amazing life.
'I can't believe we're going to have babies!' Penny took my hand as we lay side by side on the separate beds.
I smiled at her happy face.

•Patrick's Perspective•
'All you have to do is bowl, it's that simple.' I told him, handing him the ball.
'I really want this Paddy, more than anything.' Johnno stated passionately.
'Carmondy go your hardest mate.' The coach bellowed, I saw Johnno close his eyes in fear before he stepped out his 25 step run up. I watched as he took a deep breath and race down the grass before bowling a ball that was far from his best, I thwacked it into the side of the net. The coach, stunned by the not so great ball he had just seen, took out his note book and scribbled something down.
'Keep doing that, and you'll be in for sure.' I said sarcastically as the nervous Johnno took the fiery ball from my hand.
'Jesus man, this is more intense than I thought.' I could tell Johnno was intimidated. I grabbed the collar of his shirt, also grabbing the attention of the coach and my fellow players.
'Harry Johnson, how long have you been playing cricket?!' I yelled through the grille of my helmet.
'Since I could walk.' Johnno responded.
'How Long have you wanted to play for Australia?!' I spat.
'Forever! What are you doing?' Johnno clenched his eyes shut.
'OPEN YOUR EYES!' I bellowed. 'The opportunity is right in front of you!' I announced.
'I know!' Johnno yelled.
'How much do you want this Harry?' I questioned loudly, pressing my helmeted forehead against his.
'So badly.' Johnno replied.
'Tell them.' I yelled staring into his eyes.
'SO BADLY! MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW!' Tears began to trickle down his face.
'Then don't waste it!' I said, lowering my voice. 'Bowl to me Johnno! Go on!' I pushed his body back and I walked back to the stumps. Johnno found his mark, his eyes met mine and there was fire. Everyone watched as Johnno powered down the grass, his arm flung like a catapult, releasing a dangerous ball that sent the three stumps flying. I let out a cheer, putting my bat on the ground and taking my brother in a rough hug. The other men applauded as the confidence began to propel from Johnno's face.
'Thank you.' Johnno slapped my shoulder before returning to his mark.

•Brooklyn's Perspective•
About a month later, Pat and I were lounging around the house, preparing ourselves for the new baby we were about to have living under our roof, in our care.
'Pat get the door!' I yelled as an intense knocking erupted in the passage.
'Righto!' Pat responded. I heard the handle click then a loud voice yell; "I GOT IN! I GOT IN!"
A very excited Johnno was lead into the lounge room by his big brother. Penny strolled in behind them and sat down beside me, sighing a long awaited sigh of relief.
'I'm so thankful they chose him.' She said, I felt a smile emerge on my lips.
'I'm going to play cricket for Australia, isn't that the most unbelievably amazing thing you've ever heard?' Johnno was lost in his lifelong dream about to come true.
'I get to play with my brother, that's the most unbelievably amazing thing.' Pat grinned, his arms winding around my neck.
'Bloody hell, Pat this is going to be brilliant, all my dreams have come true!' Johnno cheered. Pat pushed his brother into the arm chair, his strong arms trapping him.
'We're going to be Fathers, we're both going to be playing for Australia, we're going to be doing it all together, all my dreams have come true!' He told him, Johnno breathed out heavily, the relief on his breath flooding over us all.
'We've gotta make a hundred together, for Mum, I'm Adelaide, imagine that.' Johnno fantasised.
'We'll see how we go mate, Cricket is unpredictable.' I could tell Pat was fantasising too, they really wanted to show that everything their mum had done for their Cricket was worth it.